This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 10:32 AM by MichaelChristofides RSS

How to use Versioning functionality

user576183 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm running SQL Developer 3.2.2 on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

I'm trying to understand how Oracle expects one to use SQL Dev with SubVersion. I use JDeveloper regularly with SVN integration and SQL Dev does not behave the same way.

Is it possible to map the files on disk with the objects in the DB so that when working on an object the underlying file is also updated?

How does one load a PL/SQL package file from the working copy to work in the DB? I tried using "Save package spec and body" so they were saved to one .pls file, but when opened in SQL Dev clicking the compile button results in an error because the spec and body are in the same file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 1. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    Jim Smith Expert
    Tools|Preferences|Code Editor|Link Stored Procedures to Files will do some of what you want.

You still have to explicitly save the files.
  • 2. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    user576183 Newbie
    That option was already checked unfortunately and there wasn't any documentation available for it when I clicked the help button in the preferences dialog.

Is SVN integration something of an unfinished extra feature? It's considerably less than seamless.
  • 3. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    Jim Smith Expert
    I gave up on SQL Developer's version control a long time ago. I manage with a bunch of scripts to extract database objects to the file system where I manage them with CVS or SVN. This requires a lot of discipline on my part, and is likely to fail badly in a team of more than a handful.

When it was first being developed, I argued for better integration with the database, but it never happened. There is a statement from Sue Harper (former product manager) on this forum that version control in SQL Developer will always remain purely file based.
  • 4. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    user13430807 Explorer
    Hello,

You can open the 'files' navigator to navigate to the files on file system. By clicking the file the normal code editor is opened. By pressing the 'compile' button in the button bar you compile against the db.
    The only disadvantage is that you have to connect to the db for each file.
    After making the change in the editor you press the 'save' button in the toolbar.

Best regards,

Joop
  • 5. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    user576183 Newbie
    That's very much the impression I get. I do it all manually and will probably continue.
  • 6. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    user576183 Newbie
    I would do that, but unfortunately we already have lots of files in SVN which were saved using the "Save package spec and body" option to save to a .pls file.

The problem is that when you open the resulting file and click compile SQL Dev gets confused because the spec and body are in one file together. Clicking the Run button doesn't work either, it just complains about not being able to find the "file based package".

All pretty frustrating and not worth the time investigating unfortunately.
  • 7. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    user13430807 Explorer
    Then you write a script which splits the .pls files in two pieces (a .pkb and a .pks file) and save those files in SVN.
    Then you have two files which you can manipulate independently.
  • 8. Re: How to use Versioning functionality
    MichaelChristofides Newbie
    Disclaimer: I work for Red Gate

As others have said above, there are ways of getting most of what you ask for with the SQL Developer integration. Having said that, our experience is also that these are largely manual processes that require discipline, especially difficult in larger teams and near impossible if you wish to work in sandboxed (1 per person) schemas.

If third party, commercial tools are an option for you, our Source Control for Oracle tool integrates with Subversion (and TFS) and updates files automatically when you make database changes. We also split out package headers and bodies into separate files. Unfortunately this tool is Windows only, which I realise may be an issue for you.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points