This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 4:15 PM by marksmithusa RSS

Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression

User493110 - Oracle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts

Is there a way to estimate the storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC) in Oracle Exadata x3-2 machine ? ?

Urgent Please...

Cheers
Kumar
  • 1. Re: Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression
    Marc Fielding Journeyer
    Hello 971892,

dbms_compression is your friend. An example from a quick Google search: http://uhesse.com/2011/09/12/dbms_compression-example/

Cheers!

Marc
  • 2. Re: Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi friend,

Yes, compression advisor Is included in oracle 11g r2.

The compression advisor is a plsql package dbms_compression that can estimate thr HCC storage savings for individual tables or partitions.

Hope it helps...

Thanks
    LASERSOFT
  • 3. Re: Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Test it out in a non-Production environment and see.

It depends on a) your compression type, b) how large your compression units are and c) how much cardinality there is

For the oldest 33% of the partitions, we've applied 'archive high'. The compression rate varies between 76% and 92%
    For the middle 33%, we've applied 'query low'. Not sure of compression rate as it's varying a bit much. But I'd say around the 60-70% range
    For the newest 33%, we've applied no compression.

For a 4.5Tb partitioned table, we've managed to shrink it down to about 2.5Tb. Not bad, especially how conservative we went with the compression types.

Mark
  • 4. Re: Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression
    792819 Newbie
    Mark,

If I understand correctly, the strategy you laid out for Compression is you have used different level of compression for partitions belonging to the same table?.If that's the case I would like to know how was the performance of the queries accessing the entire table.

Thanks
  • 5. Re: Is there a way to estimate storage savings for Hybrid Columnar Compression
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    That is correct. Basically, the newest partitions (most likely to be queried) were given the least compression (none) whereas the oldest partitions (unlikely* to be queried as the table contains 7 years' of data) were given the most compression (archive high).

As long as you keep your global stats up to date, it really seems transparent to the end user. I have not listened to a single complaint since this table was HCC'd :)

In all seriousness, end users haven't commented. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some queries might run faster with HCC, some did in testing. It certainly hasn't caused any problems - it's a rarity: a new technology that worked exactly as it promised on its first try!

It is definitely worth implementing - just make sure the 'range' of data you use for a compression unit is large enough for you to see significant compression.

* without becoming a victim of DBARage: "exactly WHY do you need to get 7 years of data - and HOW are you going to use 4.5Tb of information, precisely? Someone might find they're not able to login to the EDW for more than 2 minutes at one time tomorrow...,etc "

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points