This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 12:14 AM by EJP RSS

Which exam has higher value?

997215 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello there,

I have been studying for Java EE 5 Web Component Developer Certified Professional Exam for a few months now. However, recently Java EE 6 Web Component Developer Certified Expert Exam became available.

My question is: which of these exams should I take? Which of these two certifications have greater value? Put it this way: which of these two certifications will (knowledgeable) employers prefer their employees to have?

Thanks,
Victor.
  • 1. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    rp0428 Guru
    If you can't think logically I wouldn't expect either one of those to help you much.

Sit down.

Have a cup of coffed (de-caf).

Reread your own question three times; take a deep breath between each reading.

Say the first answer that pops into your mind.

Post what that answer was and we will tell you if you are correct.

Consider this: sometimes you just have to use your own best judgment and commit yourself to it. This is one of those times. ;)
  • 2. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    997215 Newbie
    LOL. My goal is to gather as much information as possible about each exam's future value and make the best financial commitment to one or the other. Rational of my decision is based on this.

If you can't think logically, don't bother posting ;)

P.S. And yeah, I'd like to make a decision that's based on a little more than flipping the coin - which is pretty much what you are suggesting. Talk about being illogical LOL.
  • 3. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    And yeah, I'd like to make a decision that's based on a little more than flipping the coin - which is pretty much what you are suggesting.
    >
    That just shows what I suspected: you can't, or aren't thinking logically.

Quick - without thinking about it: would it better to learn Oracle 11g or Oracle 8i?

Post your answer and the reasons.

Now try a harder question: Oracle 11g or Oracle 9i?

Did that one stump you? Do you think you chose correctly?

And the finale: Oracle 11g or Oracle 10g?

What were your reasons for each choice you made? Was there ANYTHING that the answers to these three questions have in common?

If you were able to deduce what was common that would represent logical thinking.

Learn to think logically before tackling something as heavy as the actual subject matter you plan to take on. Logical thinking is useful in most any endeavor and applies across intellectual disciplines.
  • 4. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    997215 Newbie
    Oh, I get it, ha ha ha!

You, at Oracle, just want me to buy whatever. You don't care what decision I make. If I register for exam that's worth less to employers and waste my money it's in your interest that I pay another $340 for an exam that worth more in the market. That's why you are not giving adequate replies and let thugs run this forum.

What a cash grab you at Oracle. You just want my money.

100% student satisfaction guarantee. LOL. What a bunch of bull. Visiting these forums is enough to puke in disgust.
  • 5. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    997215 Newbie
    For what it's worth I'll mention that even Oracle is not making a clear distinction (apart for slight curriculum differences and version number) between the two exam versions:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=557&get_params=courseId:D79150GC10,showLabTab:N,ilaU:0,ilaO:0

On this page these exams are presented side-by-side and it is difficult to make a decision on which one to take without knowing which one can give the edge with an employer.

As things are right now, the real edge I'll get is by finishing up my current Computing Science degree at SFU. I don't think I'll continue studying for any of additional Oracle certifications.

Seeing how negligent Oracle staff is in answering my inquiries and poor level of moderation of forums (level of arrogance, mockery, etc.) gives me an idea that 100% student satisfaction guarantee is false advertising. I certainly am not satisfied with recent reaction I got to my inquiries and browsing other threads suggests that other members aren't satisfied either.

At least, in my case, I have an alternative to turn to.
  • 6. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    Tolls Journeyer
    994212 wrote:
    Oh, I get it, ha ha ha!

You, at Oracle, just want me to buy whatever.
    Well, it's Pearson that runs these things usually.

But rp0428 has pointed you in the right direction...would you learn Oracle8i rather than Oracle11g if you were given the choice?
    So why, when given the choice between JEE5 and JEE6 are you confused?
  • 7. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Tolls wrote:
    994212 wrote:
    Oh, I get it, ha ha ha!

You, at Oracle, just want me to buy whatever.
    Well, it's Pearson that runs these things usually.

But rp0428 has pointed you in the right direction...would you learn Oracle8i rather than Oracle11g if you were given the choice?
    Not a fair comparison really, Oracle 8 was horrible while JEE5 is very serviceable :)
    So why, when given the choice between JEE5 and JEE6 are you confused?
    Some people just go for a good vintage!

Seriously: I would go for JEE6 for another reason entirely; the exams become more fair with time (read: less traps, more skill related). Don't torture yourself, go for the latest one. But you're still not proving anything by doing so, its just a money sink to get a paper. Proving that you're worth your weight in salt involves having a traceable history of experience to show for yourself. Any knowledgeable employer realizes this, if someone is hammering on the paper then that would tell me a little about their level of reasoning and understanding and perhaps mosey on to another offer.
  • 8. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I would go for JEE6 for another reason entirely; the exams become more fair with time (read: less traps, more skill related). Don't torture yourself, go for the latest one
    >
    What? Now you're gonna try to use reason and logic on this OP? Didn't seem to work for me! :D

Hmmm - makes unknowing, and unknowable, assumptions about my degrees, thinks we all work for Oracle, thinks we have some financial interest in what option they choose.

And then to top it off says this:
    >
    I am a 3rd year Computing Science and Mathematics major at a university and hold a BA degree from another.
    >
    What a shame - all that schoolin' but still no learnin'.

OP still can't reason, think logically or figure out what they really want to do that might be useful in real life.

Your comment about collecting paper, though, may have crossed the line. There is a lot of call for people that can collect paper. I pass them everyday working on the side of the highway.
  • 9. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    997215 Newbie
    rp0428,

The very fact that you loosely (and informally) use words like "logic" and "reason" suggest that you had no formal training in these disciplines yourself. If you had been formally trained in logic and took numerous courses in Discrete Math, Algorithm Analysis (and so on) like myself, you wouldn't throw these words around so loosely because you would have learned to appreciate precise meaning and application such terms ;)

gimbal2,

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, it's a tougher decision than it seems between EE5 and EE6 because EE5, like good vintage, it may have been established and recognized and since EE6 seems to be new on the block, I thought EE5 has a more of track record. But I very much appreciate your comments. Some employers also put big emphasis on words like "Expert" vs. "Professional". Don't ask me, it's the employers who ultimately decide so every little piece of information counts in my case.

I chose to temporarily study Oracle certifications because it allows me to study on my own pace. I have 7 years of experience as Java Programmer and am working full-time. I cannot afford to go part-time when I switch to my SFU comp. sci. courses.

Thanks,
    Victor.
  • 10. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    gimbal2 Guru
    rp0428 wrote:
    What? Now you're gonna try to use reason and logic on this OP? Didn't seem to work for me! :D

Hmmm - makes unknowing, and unknowable, assumptions about my degrees, thinks we all work for Oracle, thinks we have some financial interest in what option they choose.
    Oh... I missed that. Sorry :(
  • 11. Re: Which exam has higher value?
    EJP Guru
    Moderator action: deleted an offensive post by you, and its reply.
    Seeing how negligent Oracle staff is in answering my inquiries
    Very few Oracle staff read these forums. They are for user-to-user communication. If you're trying to reach Oracle you should use a proper support channel.
    and poor level of moderation of forums (level of arrogance, mockery, etc.)
    See above.

Locking this futile thread.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points