incremental backup restore and recovery

712089 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,
I am doing testing on rman incremental backup
oracle version 10.2.0.3
OS windows

I have below backups:-
1)L0+controlfile ('backup incremental level 0 database' and controlfile autobackup)
2)cumulative L1 + controlfile ('backup incremental level 1 cumulative database' and controlfile autobackup)
3)cumulative L1 + controlfile

last archive logseq is 10.

i have deleted all the datafiles,redolog and controlfile after 3rd backup (not executed "alter system archive log current")
and i am trying to restore and recover from below commands

restore controlfile from '<controlfile backup>;
run{
set until logseq 11;
restore database;
recover database;
}

case1) when restoring controlfile from backup 3 then run block completing successfully.
case2) when restoring controlfile from backup 1 then it's giving error after recovery
"ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below"

As per my understanding its failing because i do not have redologs or last archivelog.
Can i recover this with any other approach ?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    You haven't shown that you are backing up the archivelogs. You will need the archivelogs to be available for the RECOVER DATABASE phase.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 2. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    712089 Newbie
    Hi Hemant,

Thanks for your reply.
    I have all the archivelog on my disk i.e (flashrecovery area folder)

Edited by: GourG on Apr 8, 2013 11:31 PM
  • 3. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    case2) when restoring controlfile from backup 1 then it's giving error after recovery
    Look at the alert.log for messages related to the RECOVER DATABASE in this case. The alert.log would show which archivelogs have been applied.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 4. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    Mihael Pro
    I have below backups:-
    1)L0+controlfile ('backup incremental level 0 database' and controlfile autobackup)
    2)cumulative L1 + controlfile ('backup incremental level 1 cumulative database' and controlfile autobackup)
    3)cumulative L1 + controlfile

last archive logseq is 10.

i have deleted all the datafiles,redolog and controlfile after 3rd backup (not executed "alter system archive log current")
    and i am trying to restore and recover from below commands

restore controlfile from '<controlfile backup>;
    run{
    set until logseq 11;
    restore database;
    recover database;
    }

case1) when restoring controlfile from backup 3 then run block completing successfully.
    "ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below"

As per my understanding its failing because i do not have redologs or last archivelog.
    Can i recover this with any other approach ?
    Most likely that controlfile from backup 1 does not have info about last archivelogs. You can check this with 'list archivelog all' command. If some logs are missing, register them with 'catalog archivelog ...'.
  • 5. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    712089 Newbie
    its giving error for all archivelog files "ORA-279 signalled during: "
    rman had already applied cumulative backup.. That’s why it’s giving errors for all the archivelog files

"ORA-279 signalled during: "

alter database recover cancel
    ORA-1547 signalled during: alter database recover cancel...
    Mon Apr 08 17:29:59 2013
    Signalling error 1152 for datafile 4!
    Signalling error 1152 for datafile 5!
  • 6. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    712089 Newbie
    Hi Mihael,

I have cataloged all the archivelog and backup pieces before the restore and recovery.
  • 7. Re: incremental backup restore and recovery
    We can ignore the ORA-279s. They are not error messages but information messages.

However, the ORA-1152s are critical.
    ORA-01152: file string was not restored from a sufficiently old backup 
    Cause: An incomplete recovery session was started, but an insufficient number of logs were applied to make the database consistent. This file is still in the future of the last log applied. The most likely cause of this error is forgetting to restore the file from a backup before doing incomplete recovery.
    Action: Either apply more logs until the database is consistent or restore the database file from an older backup and repeat recovery.
    Apparently there is a mismatch in the backups. Did you run BACKUP and/or RESTORE for the two datafiles separately ?

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points