This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 1:25 AM by Hilary RSS

Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer

1001636 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Please somebody can assist me how could I connect the new cloud connection

I have used the port 22 and SFTP user and host are all ok .. but the error which comes up when i try to connect is

"Peer not authenticated"

Please help!!
  • 1. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Hi,

What version of Oracle SQL Developer are you using when attempting to create a Cloud Connection? While I could reproduce the "Peer not authenticated" error using version 3.2.10.09.53, I've no issues creating a connection using version 3.2.20.09.87, which is the latest release available for download from OTN, here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html. If you're running an earlier version, then I would recommend downloading the latest and retry the steps.

Regards,
    Hilary
  • 2. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    Yes , I am using 3.2.20.09.87 version, which is the latest release available for download from OTN. Still I am getting the same error 'Peer not Authenticated'. What could be a possible error...
  • 3. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Hi,

What platform are you running SQL Developer on? I'm not aware of any platform-specific issues with Cloud connections, but I can follow up with the SQL Dev team to investigate further if necessary. Could you please verify that you've followed the necessary steps for creating such a connections, as outlined in the associated White Paper, here: www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-cloud/public/data-movement-wp-1844121.pdf?

Regards,
    Hilary
  • 4. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    Hi,
    I want to confirm that the user id asked in the popup for the new cloud connection , needs to be made in the Application Express in the online database service or is it User Id of the administrator?
    I am running on windows platform..

Thanks,
    Ankur

Edited by: 998633 on Apr 8, 2013 11:34 AM

Edited by: 998633 on Apr 8, 2013 11:35 AM
  • 5. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    I have followed all the steps written in the white paper , even I have created a new user using the Oracle Application Express and used the credentials but still it is of no good . I am getting the same error of 'Peer Not Authenticated' .Please help with this issue

Thanks,
    Ankur
  • 6. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Hi Ankur,

Thanks for the updates. You've mentioned you're on Windows - is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

+> I want to confirm that the user id asked in the popup for the new cloud connection , needs to be made in the Application Express in the online database service or is it User Id of the administrator?+

As mentioned in the white paper:

"In order to perform these steps, the data load process uses two different users – one user defined for the Secure FTP (SFTP) site, and another defined to load the data in the Database Cloud Service. You can use any user who is a Service Administrator or Database Developer to load data into your Database Cloud Service. The SFTP user for your Database Cloud Service is identified in the My Services portal1 for the Database Cloud Service in the section label Service SFTP Details."

So the user login credentials you enter in the popup for the new Cloud connection should be "any user who is a Service Administrator or Database Developer". In the 'Welcome to Oracle Cloud' email that you received upon trial registration, the user defined under the 'Identity Domain Account Details' is your default Service Administrator. However, you can of course create additional Service Administrator users or indeed Database Developer users via the Identity Console. Log in to MyServices Administration URL (you'll find the URL in the 'Welcome to Oracle Cloud' email that you received upon trial registration), then select your database service, and click on the Identity Console button on the Services page. This will launch the IDM console, where you can manager the users and roles for your database service. To add a new Database Developer user, for example, you can do the following in Identity Console:

1) Click 'Manage Users' link from the left hand side bar
    2) Click Search. You should then see a list of the existing users for your service. Among those users, you'll see your SFTP user. Ensure that you have reset the password for your SFTP user, as per the documentation.
    3) Click Create, and enter the credentials for a new user
    4) Upon successful creation of your new user, click 'Manager Roles' link from the left hand side bar
    5) Click Search. You should then see a list of available roles for your service.
    6) Select 'database Database Developer' from the list of available roles, and then click Assign.
    7) In the Grant Role popup dialog, and click Search.
    8) From the list of available users, select the new user you created in step 3 above. You'll now have a new Database Developer, whose credentials can be used in the creation of a Cloud Connection in SQL Developer.

Now in SQL Developer, ensure that your new Cloud Connection uses the following settings:

Database Username: <enter name of user created in step 3 above OR enter your Service Administrator name>
    Database URL: <copy the "Service Home" URL from your 'Welcome to Oracle Cloud' email, and paste it here> e.g.      https://database-trial_name.oraclecloudapps.com/apex/
    SFTP Username: <enter name of your SFTP user, which you'll find on the Overview page in MyServices> ** you should have already reset the password for this user via Identity Console
    SFTP Hostname: <enter the SFTP host name, which you'll find on the Overview page in MyServices>
    SFTP Port: 22

When you attempt to connect to that new Cloud Connection, enter the username/password combo for the user you defined in 'Database Username' of the connection properties. My tests are on Windows 32-bit, and I've experienced no issues connecting using either my Service Administrator or Database Developer login credentials. So I'd be interested to find out whether you're running on 64-bit, which could potentially explain why you're seeing different results. Apologies if the above is overkill, but I figured it was worthwhile outlining the information for other interested parties viewing this thread too.

Regards,
    Hilary
  • 7. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    I am using Windows 7 - 64-bit platform .

I have even tried SFTP host along with the user to check that if the issue lies in the SFTP credentials , but thecredentials runs without any problem. Tried in WinSCP software.

I have followed the steps you have specified in the pretty detailed last post. But same is the issue *'Peer not Authenticated'*

I have tried the administrator credentials as well as tried with the new user created through Identity Console , but error comes is the same .
  • 8. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Thanks Ankur,

I'm going to forward your issue to the SQL Dev team now, to investigate whether there's some 64-bit specific issue here that you're hitting.

Regards,
    Hilary
  • 9. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    Thanks Hilary ,

Will wait for reply from the developer team !!
  • 10. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Hi Ankur,

What JDK version are you using?

'Peer not Authenticated' indicates a failure in the SSL layer. SQL Developer requires an updated JDK 6 to correctly handle the Oracle root certificate. In general, it is recommended that customers upgrade to the latest JDK 6 if they are using the Cloud features of SQL Developer. So if you aren't running with an updated JDK 6, could you please upgrade and retry your Cloud connection and let me know how you get on.

Regards,
    Hilary
  • 11. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    1001636 Newbie
    Hi Hilary ,

Sorry for the late reply , I was using the JDK7 and on your advice when I tried the JDK 6 then it worked , Now I am able to connect to the cloud .

Thankyou so much

Regards,
    Ankur Gupta
  • 12. Re: Unable to register a new cloud connection in Oracle SQL Developer
    Hilary Expert
    Hi Ankur,

That's great your issue is now resolved. It's thanks to the SQL Dev team really, who verified the requirement for JDK 6 in order to use the Cloud features in SQL Dev.

Regards,
    Hilary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points