3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2013 5:13 AM by Kam_oracle_apex RSS

Want to be a Database Developer using JAVA

Kam_oracle_apex
      Hi Friends,

First of all i would like to introduce my programming background shortly.

I have been working on oracle using their development tools like developer 6i and oracle APEX since last 10 years. I have developed several database applications for different organizations such as Financials, inventory, Sales, Payroll etc.

Therefore, I am very desperate to learn JAVA and want to develop database application on it whereas i dont have any language experience. May be it is difficult for me.

Can you please tell me how can i create database application like form designing, inserting data in oracle database, triggers handling, report designing etc.??
      any helpful website?
      where should i start?

Please help. i will be thankful.

Regards,
      Kamran
        • 1. Re: Want to be a Database Developer using JAVA
          PhHein
          Step one: Java is not an acronym, just Java.

If you have no Java experience you should get the basics first, before you dive into developing database applications. This is Oracle's Java tuorial page: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

Have fun!
          • 2. Re: Want to be a Database Developer using JAVA
            gimbal2
            Hello friend. Excuse my rather withdrawn answers, but you are getting the same answers as so many people before you have gotten. Take them as an eye opener (or I prefer: brain-widener), do not take offense please.
            Kam_oracle_apex wrote:
            Can you please tell me how can i create database application like form designing,
            Web applications tend to be used for this purpose, much like you were using Apex previously.
            inserting data in oracle database
            You write code to do it. You can use a low level API like JDBC to execute plain queries, or you can use a higher level ORM framework to work from the perspective of a hierarchical object model in stead of flat tables
            triggers handling
            Databases handle triggers, not applications
            report designing etc.??
            You use the right tool for the job, of which there are many
            any helpful website?
            Google
            where should i start?
            A book about Java! Amazon user reviews are an excellent guide to know which ones are good and might fit you personally.

Your very, very first step is to make a 100% switch in the way you think though. You are NOT going to be creating "database applications". You are going to be creating applications which utilize databases. The application's business logic is the lead, not the database. If you cannot make that change in the way you think, you are going to fail into adopting software engineering through a development platform such as Java.
            • 3. Re: Want to be a Database Developer using JAVA
              Kam_oracle_apex
              Many many thanks All of you.