This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 5:54 AM by EdStevens RSS

Database link between Oracle Standard Edition and Oracle Enterprise Edition

John O'Toole Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am looking at setting up a data transfer process between an Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition database and an Oracle 11g Standard Edition database. Database links would be required each way.

I heard once that this is not permitted as connecting Standard to Enterprise via a DB Link means that the Standard Edition database would now need an Enterprise license.

I have searched around but can't find anything to confirm this. Am I being mislead by this information? Is it permitted to
connect Standard to Enterprise via a DB Link?

John
  • 1. Re: Database link between Oracle Standard Edition and Oracle Enterprise Edition
    clementeOTN Explorer
    I think "dblinks" are a standard facility of oracle database,and dont requeres a special license.

But, the better you can do is look at Feature Availability by Edition -> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm#CJACGHEB , in the table you can see that dbnlinks doesn't appears

The full document is Oracle® Database Licensing Information 11g Release 2 (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/toc) . And the difference between Stardard One and Standard are Hardware restrictions, not funcionalities.

Anyway, in these cases the best you can do is ask your oracle commercial because, in this way you always 100% sure that is correct
  • 2. Re: Database link between Oracle Standard Edition and Oracle Enterprise Edition
    John O'Toole Journeyer
    Thanks for the reply. As you say it is probably best to confirm this with the Oracle Account Manager. I'll do that.
  • 3. Re: Database link between Oracle Standard Edition and Oracle Enterprise Edition
    EdStevens Guru
    John O'Toole wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking at setting up a data transfer process between an Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition database and an Oracle 11g Standard Edition database. Database links would be required each way.

I heard once that this is not permitted as connecting Standard to Enterprise via a DB Link means that the Standard Edition database would now need an Enterprise license.
    ============================================================================
    Where did you hear that?
    --- On the internet
    And you believed it?
    --- Sure. They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true
    Where did you hear that?
    --- On the internet.
    ============================================================================
    I have searched around but can't find anything to confirm this. Am I being mislead by this information? Is it permitted to
    connect Standard to Enterprise via a DB Link?
    I would be shocked if it were not permitted due to licensing issues. When a db-1 has a link pointing to db-2, as far as db-2 is concerned db-1 is just another client .. no different than sqlplus. If you have an Enterprise Edition database, of course it will need to be properly licensed. But that doesn't mean all of its clients (including a SE database) have to be EE licensed.

But even my reply is just something you read on the internet. Licensing questions can only be definitively answered by Oracle itself. Ultimately you will need to put your hands on an official Oracle document or a written statement from someone authorized to make such statements.

>
    John

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points