This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2013 8:55 AM by rukbat RSS

Issues with Multiple Versions of Java

1002573 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Please POLITELY advise if I have posted this in the wrong location:
My company runs several hundered machines in an Active Directory domain. The bulk of these devices are now running Win 7 Enterprise 32 (THIRTY TWO) bit. We were previously on Java 6 (35) and recently went to Java 7.17. There are several sites and programs that REFUSE to work with Java 7. One such program comes with an installation package that automatically loads Java 6 (37). Here's the questions / issues for which I am seeking assistance:

1) Java 6 (35) with program that loaded 6 (37) gets an upgrade from 6 (35) to 7.17. NOW it displays in the programs and features that it has Java 6 (37) and Java 7.17. HOWEVER the program no longer works. The applications logs show that it fails to load Java 6 (35); which tells me that Java 6 (35) is still resident somewhere deep in the registry files. How do I get Java 6 (35) off without totally destroying the OS (see "2)" below).
a) I tried to totally remove Java from the programs and features section. The "Java Control Panel" still shows up in the Control Panel, but has a generic icon. I loaded Java 7.17 back on, and still get it trying to load Java 6 (35).
b) Ideally, I would like to be able to have NOTHING but Java 7.17 on here to ensure that this program will actually not run with it.
1) IF it DOES run with 7.17, I'm golden.
2) IF it does NOT run with it, I would THEN like to be able to load Java 6 (x) on there and have them BOTH run without conflict.

2) Java 7.17 will not get us to a site (these sites and programs are proprietary so you will not be able to research this independently). I loaded Java 6 (43) on it for testing; the device would still not go to the site. I removed Java 7.17. The device still showed that Java 6 (43) was resident. The device still would not go to the website. When I tried to view the Java settings, "BING" "Application not found!". Now, I'm sitting there thinking... why not? I found it with NO problems... it's RIGHT THERE--see???? Ok, so I removed Java 6 (43), and tried to reinstall it. I kept getting the same thing over and over until I totally broke the machine and it now has to be re-imaged.
a) The method used for removeal initally was to use the programs and feature to remove the Java.
b) After several attempts at removing and installing--I got brave and went into the registry and started deleting Java; but apperently I don't know how to remove Java properly. During this process I found mentions of many different versions of Java, Java 7, Java 6 (20), Java 6 (35), Java 6 (43), Java 7.7 (We went to that one time but had to revert due to extreme issues), and Java 7.17. (btw, I did this REMOTELY, and after 5 hours of frustration, I accidently removed tons of entries of Java from my own admin console... and had to reimage MY machine last night... yes, Im pretty frustrated with Java and could really use some assistance.)

3) During regular updates, machines that are only authorized to have ONE version of Java on them, when going from Java 6 (35) to Java 7.17 often refuse to give up Java 6 (35), which has to be manually removed from the Programs and Features panel. I find, that when doing this, there still seems to be mention of Java 6 (35) in the registry files. Again, this goes back to being able to remove Java 6 (x) without destroying the OS, please assit.

Edited by: 999570 on Apr 11, 2013 11:30 AM
  • 1. Re: Issues with Multiple Versions of Java
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    With several hundred machines it would seem that it should be possible to get a machine for testing that you could run locally.

Basic idea to insure that java VMs (nothing to do with browsers) do not infect the OS is
    1. Install the VM.
    2. Copy the directory
    3. Uninstall the VM.

After that the copied directory has what you need to run java applications.
    To run an application.
    - Open a console window
    - Given a version X that you want to test it will be in directory M (the copy from above).
    - Run "M\bin\java.exe ...."

Specifics of the last step depends on how the application is normally run.

Naturally if you are using a machine that already has Java installed on it then you must insure it is clean. And doing that means that you must do it carefully.
  • 2. Re: Issues with Multiple Versions of Java
    1002573 Newbie
    So, any idea how to get Java out of the registry?--without messing up the OS?
  • 3. Re: Issues with Multiple Versions of Java
    gimbal2 Guru
    999570 wrote:
    Please POLITELY advise if I have posted this in the wrong location:
    I can't, when people start to make such demands they're already an ahole in my opinion. Who do you think you are?

So without politeness I offer you: try JavaRa which is designed to cleanup Java messes created by broken installers and people mismanaging their OS. But its a best-effort only, sometimes the damage is just too great.
  • 4. Re: Issues with Multiple Versions of Java
    1002573 Newbie
    That request was made because I accidentally posted this question in the wrong spot and got lamblasted by someone who was even less polite than you. I'm really fed up with Java to begin with and now I'm fed up with the "Java site". Seeing how inept the "help" is here, I can see why the program is more of a threat than a program.
  • 5. Re: Issues with Multiple Versions of Java
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    You have a total of two threads in these forums.
    The first was where you posted this same question to the Database General Questions forum. The first response was "Why did you post it here?", and you took offense at that.
    ... then you re-edited all your entries there to obfuscate the initial inquiry.

I've locked that thread and I'm now locking this one before you obfuscate your text here as well.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points