This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 5:52 PM by ccp RSS

Which Xterm for SPARC ldom Solaris 11?

1001890 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I was successfully using Xming for connecting Solaris 10 (both SPARC and x86) AND Solaris 11 (only x86) servers. Now I installed my first Solaris 11 on a T5240 and on a T4-4 ldom. The result is that - in both case - Xming is not working: it's very slow, very little chars, icons are missing, top and bottom panel (the menu) not viewable...
I did a text-install and - after - installed the solaris-desktop pkg (that's what I did for the x86 servers too).

After enabling xdmcp on /etc/gdm/custom.conf and restarting gdm, the result IS NOT the same as for the x86 servers.

Could anybody explain me what I'm doing wrong? I'll appreciate a lot...

Am I "forced" to use Vnc? Are there other possibilities?

Thanks,
Luca
  • 1. Re: Which Xterm for SPARC ldom Solaris 11?
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle Expert
    For the slowness, this depends how you configure your LDOM ? Allowed memory, CPUs, direct access to disk , and many other possible cause.

For the rest, did you rebooted your server after solaris-desktop group installation ? An another possible cause is that not all binaries are loaded caused by the slowness.
  • 2. Re: Which Xterm for SPARC ldom Solaris 11?
    1001890 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply; I've 4 ldom, each with 8vcpu and 128G memory (one has a little less because of the VM server). I believe they're quite well configured.
    Have you successfully used xterm like Xming with Xdmcp? If so, could you please let me know your settings?

This is the error I see on /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[183880.698] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xtsol
    [183880.698] (II) UnloadModule: "xtsol"
    [183880.698] (II) Unloading xtsol
    [183880.698] (EE) Failed to load module "xtsol" (module does not exist, 0)
    [183880.699] (WW) could not get frame buffer identifier from /dev/fb
    [183880.788] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
    [183880.788] (EE) No drivers available.
    [183880.788]
    Fatal server error:
    [183880.788] no screens found
    [183880.789]
    Please consult the Oracle Corporation, based on X.Org Foundation sources support
         at http://support.oracle.com/
    for help.
    [183880.789] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    [183880.789]
    [183880.790] Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Any ideas?

Luca

Edited by: 998887 on Apr 11, 2013 8:13 AM
  • 3. Re: Which Xterm for SPARC ldom Solaris 11?
    ccp Newbie
    First, I confess I am don't know anything about Xming other than know it is X server run on windows. And I am no expert in running X Desktop on solaris. But I have some understanding in X in general.

You question bring my curiosity, you said you set-up gdm with xdmcp and you said you did not get the same as other setting, what did you get anyway?

usually when I hear X problem they usually about slow drawing or missing character but not missing part of icons. T4 performance should be just as fast as your desktop, so slowness usually because network, if you just simply ssh to your T4 domain is it slow?

Is Xming have /var/log/Xorg.0.log? usually Windows file express in something like C:\path\to\log. your express lead me believe you are checking solaris's X server which is not relate to your slow display on you PC's Xming.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points