This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2013 1:11 PM by CraigB Go to original post RSS
  • 16. Re: about inserting with one to many relationship
    Amatu Allah Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi
    All u have gotten r good helpful answers all u need is to apply what u have been suggested then tell us if any problem u faced then we could follow up but u think we don't got ur form design but i think u need to consider what u have between ur hands coz there is a key found to solve ur requirement bbetween lines but u still need to decide.
    Have u read my last suggestion it is close to what u send but the way that should be done coz no meaning to enter deptno with no displaying name pls consider.

Amatu Allah
  • 17. Re: about inserting with one to many relationship
    newbi_egy Explorer
    no meaning to enter deptno with no displaying name pls consider.
    i did not post this thread because of this specific situation , i posted it just to know the logic the task is handled , the way to do this .

off course i am not create an application with scott/tiger schema .

you do not have to reply .

thanks a lot to you
  • 18. Re: about inserting with one to many relationship
    Amatu Allah Guru
    ol miss egy sometimes a pic worth watching and do much than we did explain pls watch it worth watching
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ySeHhq6qOjk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DySeHhq6qOjk
    Amatu Allah
  • 19. Re: about inserting with one to many relationship
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    Maybe you should consider the general approach in forms:

If i want to show a list of employees, i have a block based on that table and the user can do a search using enter-query and execute-query, and, after that, can edit the data in the block or even add new records.

The approach for a master-detail is similar. The user chooses the master by using enter-query, searching the required data, and then pressing execute-query. After that, he can edit the details in the related detail-blcok, which is automatically populated.

what you have often is a separate form "before" the master-detail form, where the user can choose the master from a tabular block, and by double-clicking a record or using a button you then come into the master-detail-form, where your master is not automatically populated.
  • 20. Re: about inserting with one to many relationship
    CraigB Guru
    the problem is it is an additional work , and he can search for a non existent department , then he is enforced to write it again after searching because he could not find it .
    I don't understand how this can be more work as there is less coding with the method I've suggested.
    it should look like this
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By6htDkhXWBiR3MtMWdxMzNjUGc/edit?usp=sharing 
    Your example looks almost exactly like the test case I created except mine had the department description displayed as well. With the DEPT as the Master block - the user simply has to press F11 to put the Form in Query-Mode. Then type in the DEPTNO and press Ctrl+F11 to execute the query. The Form will automatically display all employees in the selected DEPTNO. The user then just clicks in the EMP block - presses Ctrl+DownArrow to create a new row and then type in the related employee information and press Ctrl+S to save.

The only code you've written at this point is in the EMP block Pre-Insert trigger to assign the EMPNO if* the EMPNO comes from a sequence.

Craig...
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points