3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 5:50 PM by onedbguru RSS

Re-enable ntpd on 11Gr2 RAC using cluster sync services

Hi,
      I have a 2-node RAC cluster running 11.2.0.2 of Oracle EE. When I performed the install a few months back, I ran into problems with the Grid install whereby it would not install with my current ntp configuration. I found a recommendation online to disable ntpd and use the Oracle CSS- cluster synchronization service. Now, 2 months later, we would like to enable ntpd so that the cluster can stay in sync with the exact time of our NTP server. Is there a recommended way to do this? Not sure if I need to disable CSS before enabling ntpd and I've seen several sites with recommended config settings for ntpd.conf.

Thanks,
      Karen
        • 1. Re: Re-enable ntpd on 11Gr2 RAC using cluster sync services
          hm360
          Hi,

Please see the following documents:

OracleR Clusterware Administration and Deployment Guide
          11g Release 2 (11.2)
          E16794-17

2 Administering Oracle Clusterware
          -Cluster Time Management

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16794/admin.htm#CHDCECBJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Similarly, if you want to deactivate CTSS in your cluster, then do the following:

Configure the vendor time synchronization service on all nodes in the cluster.
          CTSS detects this change and reverts back to observer mode.

Use the crsctl check ctss command to ensure that CTSS is operating in observer mode.

Start the vendor time synchronization service on all nodes in the cluster.

Use the cluvfy comp clocksync -n all command to verify that the vendor time synchronization service is operating.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Re-enable ntpd on 11Gr2 RAC using cluster sync services
            Thank you, this has solved my question.
            • 3. Re: Re-enable ntpd on 11Gr2 RAC using cluster sync services
              onedbguru
              You probably had failed errors on ntp slew option etc... the reason for this is that generally SA's will lock down a lot of the conf files including the ntpd.conf file. Next time, change the permissions so that the oracle user can read it.