This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 6:48 AM by userBDBDMS RSS

Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g

user1983888 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We implemented Oracle EBS R11i for one of our customers. We also implemented Oracle Mobile Server 9i on Windows Server and Olite 9i on PDAs running Windows.
Now the customer wants to upgrade Oracle EBS to R12 and also upgrade Oracle Mobile Server and Olite 9i to newer versions of Oracle and also want to use Android on the PDAs/Mobile Devices.

Can we implement Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g and Mobile Client as mentioned in these links:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/database-mobile-server/dms-11g-datasheet-512117.pdf

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/database-mobile-server/overview/index.html

I think it will be a new implementation of Oracle Database Mobile server and Mobile client and not an upgrade.

Any suggestions is welcome.

Regards,
Thiru
  • 1. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    userBDBDMS Guru Moderator
    Hi Thiru,

Oracle EBS R12 is based on Oracle Database Lite 10g (specifically 10.3.0.3). The Oracle Mobile Server product went through significant changes from the 10g to the 11g release. You have correctly characterized this as a new implementation, and hence we had renamed the product to Oracle Database Mobile Server (DMS). Some of the changes include dropping the Olite client database and replacing it with Berkeley DB, removing the web-to-go items, performance improvements to sync protocols, addition of more client platforms, etc. At this point in time, if you upgrade to Oracle EBS 12 you cannot move to DMS 11.x.

thanks
    mike
  • 2. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    user1983888 Explorer
    Thanks Mike for your useful update,

I forgot to mention that as part of our Oracle EBS 11i (Oracle CRM) implementation we also implemented Oracle Mobile Field Service (OMFS) and some OMFS components were installed on the PDAs running Windows CE (6).

As the customer wants to implement PDAs with Android OS, can we also implement OMFS on the Android Devices?

Also I would like to know if we can implement the Mobile env as follows:

Oracle Mobile Server 10g on Windows Server 2008,
    Oracle Database 10g Lite on Android Mobile Devices + Oracle Mobile Field Service Application

Thanks
    Thiru
  • 3. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    Oracle Mobile Server 10g on Windows Server 2008 is not a supported OS (2008 came out long after Mobile Server 10g was released). Database Mobile Server 11.x is certified against 2008.

Oracle Database 10g Lite on Android Mobile Devices + Oracle Mobile Field Service Application - this is supported in the following versions, versions of 10g Lite are 10.3.0.2 and 10.3.0.3. and versions of MFS is 12 and I think 11 is still available.

thanks
    mike
  • 4. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    user1983888 Explorer
    Thanks Mike for the details.
  • 5. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    user1983888 Explorer
    Hi Mike,

Please see the following doc Oracle Mobile Field Service Implementation Guide, Release 12.1, Part Number E12790-04

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12790/T331165T331169.htm#2395136

Its nowhere mentioned about support for Android Smart phones.

But in this doc http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-lite/oracle-database-lite-10gr3-ds-130079.pdf its mentioned that Oracle 10g Lite uses BDB or SQLite.

Does it mean that if I want to use Oracle Mobile Field Service for Oracle EBS system then I can not use Andorid based Pocket Devices?

Its a bit confusing.

Regards,
    Thiru
  • 6. Re: Oracle Database Mobile Server 11g
    MFS embeds Olite into the product. Put another way, through MFS interfaces it defines/determines what functionality of mobile server can be used. Under the MFS configuration the Olite client database is used and the web-to-go app is used, there are no other choices. Very common when a software product includes some other product, it will determine what parts of the embedded product gets used.

Olite 10.3.0.3 as a separately download product used standalone has additional capability. Note: 10.3.0.3 is no longer separately downloadable over OTN.

In DMS 11.x -- we removed Olite client database, rearchitected sync to better fit BDB and allows for BDB and SQLite (either one of those can be used) on the client db. Again, MFS is only compatible with 10.3.0.3/2 right now. That team is a different development team within Oracle, on totally different release schedules than the Database Mobile Server development team. Android support was added in DMS 11.x.

thanks
    mike

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points