1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 6:48 AM by Howard (... in Training) Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Reducing "between column" space in a Classic Report
        fac586
        Howard (... in Training) wrote:
        @joe,

If you logon

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:2807482452656:::::

WS: APEX_EXAMPLES_01
        USER: demo
        Don't the rest of us get a look? For a CSS problem we don't need workspace access, just a public runtime page...
        • 16. Re: Reducing "between column" space in a Classic Report
          fac586
          @joe,

If you logon here
          http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:2807482452656:::::

WS: APEX_EXAMPLES_01
          USER: demo
          PW: demo

Application BPS_f991202 page 1 shows where I am trying to reduce the spacing between columns.

For the Report Region, I gave it a static ID
          OK. That's useful/necessary to provide a selector to target styling for a specific region, and to provide higher specificity selectors to override theme styling.
          and I placed the style in the Region Header as suggested.
          Do not do this. The HTML specification requires that the context of elements<tt>style</tt> elements with no <tt>scope</tt> attribute is the page <tt>head</tt> element. APEX 4.2 provides the page CSS File URLs/Inline properties specifically so style information can be correctly located in the page header. The page HTML Header property must be used in previous versions.
          I reduce all the "1px" to "0px". I even reduce the font but it seems to have no effect.
          It has no effect because the CSS pasted from the posts above does not contain selectors for the theme/templates that you are using:
          <style type="text/css">
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY tbody.uReportBody table.uReportStandard thead th {padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; vertical-align: bottom;}
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY tbody.uReportBody table.uReportStandard thead th div {padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY tbody.uReportBody table.uReportStandard tbody td { padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #ddd 1px solid; white-space: nowrap;  font-size:9px; }
          </style>
          HTML structures, class and ID attributes are not consistent or interchangeable across most APEX themes (more so the further back in time you go for your templates). Consequently the CSS selectors required to apply styling to elements are also not consistent or interchangeable. Your page contains a region with ID <tt>RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY</tt>, but it does not have a <tt>tbody.uReportBody</tt> or a <tt>table.uReportStandard</tt> and consequently these rules are not applied to any of the elements on the page.

If you look at the HTML templates in the theme you are using (17 Sapphire), or inspect the rendered page with even the feeble IE8 web inspector, the required selectors can be determined, and the required style sheet created in the page HTML Header:
          <style>
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY .report-standard th.header {
            border-left: #9fa0a0 1px solid;
            padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
            font-size: 11px;
            font-weight: bold;
            vertical-align: bottom;
          }
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY .report-standard td.data {
            border-left: #9fa0a0 1px solid;
            padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
            font-size: 9px;
          }
          #RR_COLLATERAL_SUMMARY td.data[headers="JOB_LNG_NM"] div {
            width: 110px;
            white-space: nowrap;
            word-wrap: break-word;
          }
          </style>
          This is why I keep going on about the importance of providing theme and template information and/or examples on apex.oracle.com when asking questions about layout and visual formatting. Without this information, proposed "solutions" are random guesses that only produce long, meandering, time-wasting threads. As I said above, if you'd spent 15 minutes creating an example on apex.oracle.com on Thursday, you'd have got an answer that night, instead of 4 days later.
          • 17. Re: Reducing "between column" space in a Classic Report
            Howard (... in Training)
            On our APEX 4.1.0.00.32 system with IE 8 and all sites set for IE8 compatibility viewing:
            Column/cell padding is working well on my example page and I believe I will see success when I use it in the real application.

However, re: JOB_LNG_NM column "wrapping" for which you provided
            }
            and
            <div>#JOB_LNG_NM#</div>
            Here is what I get -- again this is 4.1.0.00.32. 1) The "width" seems unaffected by any thing I change that number to. 2) As long as I have removed
            <div>#JOB_LNG_NM#</div>
            from that column, I get a wrapping of the column at, say, about 300px. (I have no idea where it gets this ~300.) When I include
            <div>#JOB_LNG_NM#</div>
            , the column does not wrap any. I thought perhaps the Column Attribute "Display As" setting could have some effect on this but I got this same result for Standard Report Column, Display as Text (saves state) and Displaye as Text (escapes special characters, ...).

Apex.oracle.com WS access seems stalled so I have not tested there.

Thanks,
            Howard
            • 18. Re: Reducing "between column" space in a Classic Report
              fac586
              On our APEX 4.1.0.00.32 system with IE 8 and all sites set for IE8 compatibility viewing:
              Column/cell padding is working well on my example page and I believe I will see success when I use it in the real application.

However, re: JOB_LNG_NM column "wrapping" for which you provided
              }
              and
              <div>#JOB_LNG_NM#</div>
              Ignore that aspect of things here. Stick to the table and font styling on this thread. Continue with the wrap issue on the other thread.
              • 19. Re: Reducing "between column" space in a Classic Report
                Howard (... in Training)
                Paul / others,

I declare victory on the space issue. This gives all the control over formatting I think I'll need. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

As you suggest, I'll work the column wrapping / "too much data to fit "issues in the other threads.

Regards,
                Howard
                "Space: the final frontier." (Voyages of the Starship Enterprise)
                1 2 Previous Next