This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 6:59 PM by Sariel-SW RSS

OBIEE and Enterprise Manager

Sariel-SW Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,

I have configured the new OBIEE Server and found some problems. Most appreciated if any one can advise.

1. We can define LDAP in either EM or Identity Manager. Which one is recommended? Any pro/cons?
2. I have made the user with logging level = 2. Logging is done and can be viewed on Manage Session --> View Log (I think it is NQQuery.Log). The log contains data. However, the Server Log in EM returns nothing. Is there any setting to let EM can search on the log file?
3. Recently I faced the problem of the OBIEE data is not updated. Someone mentioned it may be due to Cursor Cache. What is Cursor Cache and is it anyway to force to clear this cache?

Sorry ffor long questions
  • 1. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    903092 Newbie
    Hi,
    I don't have much idea about Identity manager, so won't be able to answer that.

The server log in EM corresponds to file (nqserver.log) which mainly notes critical errors, and when the services started/stopped, etc. You need to check all Message Types ( Incident Error, Error, Warning, Notification, Trace, Unknown) to return all results.     

Ideally, there are two kinds of cache in OBI, NQ Server cache (.TBL files), and Presentation server cache (.TMP files). When you clear cursor cache, only presentation cache is cleared, and not NQ Server cache. Thus, your results might look stale.

You can clear NQ server cache either by opening RPD in online mode, or NQCMD utility, or event polling tables, as per your needs.
  • 2. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Satya Ranki Reddy Expert
    Hi,

1. We can define LDAP in either EM or Identity Manager. Which one is recommended? Any pro/cons?

A. LDAP configuration you can define in EM level ( As per my knowledge it is good way).

2. I have made the user with logging level = 2. Logging is done and can be viewed on Manage Session --> View Log (I think it is NQQuery.Log). The log contains data. However, the Server Log in EM returns nothing. Is there any setting to let EM can search on the log file?

A.

Method1:
    If you enabled loglevel for each users wise it may be override with below place also can you confirm both places.

enabled Tools-->Options-->Repository-->
    System log level by default will be 0 just try to increase to 2 or 3 and save it.

Method1:
    by each report wise enabling loglevel
    try putting the below syntax in prefix section of advanced tab.

SET VARIABLE LOGLEVEL=2,DISABLE_CACHE_HIT=1;

It should generate the log with database sql as well.

Method 3:

Create Session variable(LOGLEVEL) with initblock

in your init block --> datasource place put it like below query

select 3 from IW_POSITION

Note:just point any existing physical table from u r RPD.

Then try to save it and test it.

Refer This link:

http://satyaobieesolutions.blogspot.in/2013/03/obiee-11g-no-log-found-error-when-we.html

3. Recently I faced the problem of the OBIEE data is not updated. Someone mentioned it may be due to Cursor Cache. What is Cursor Cache and is it anyway to force to clear this cache?

A. There are several ways we can purge the cache.

1. Bi Server cache
    2. Presentation Cache

Please refer belwo links.

http://satyaobieesolutions.blogspot.in/2012/07/different-to-manage-cache-in-obiee-one.html

http://satyaobieesolutions.blogspot.in/2012/08/step-by-step-to-bypass-all-caches-today.html

Note : Simple way is use the below sql quey run the issue SQL option in answer leverl.

callsapurge allcache()

Login -- Answers--> Administrator--> ISSUE SQL--> Fire the query here . It will remove the all the cache.

Hope this help's

Thanks
    Satya
  • 3. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Christian Berg Guru
    >

A. LDAP configuration you can define in EM level ( As per my knowledge it is good way).
    >

1.) The embedded LDAP resides in the WLS Admin Console, not in EM (even if EM obviously makes use of it; EM contains the application roles and application policies)
    2.) I wouldn't call it a "good way" per se since almost every client out there has his own existing LDAP solutions which you'd have to replicate rather than use - plus Oracle themselves say that you shouldn't use the embedded WLS LDAP for production systems but go for something bespoke. OID for example
    3.) Read up on security and try to understand the concepts beforey taking any decision that could penalize you in the long run: http://www.rittmanmead.com/2012/03/an-obiee-11g-security-primer-introduction/
  • 4. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Sariel-SW Newbie
    Dear All,

In fact, all the point is done. However, I cannot search anything on using Log Viewer in Enterprise Manager. But info is written in NQQuery.log...
  • 5. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Christian Berg Guru
    Are all logging targets (components and app deployments) and log file destinations configured correctly in EM?

Right-click on your farm -> "Logs" -> View Log Messages" -> "Selected Targets" and check whether all your targets, targets types and target log files are correct.
    Strange that this isn' twokring for you since I only ever saw this malfunctionning after manual interventions and in-place upgrades.
  • 6. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Sariel-SW Newbie
    Hello,

Thanks for update. I have added all in selected files. But NQQuery still cannot be searched throughtout EM. Most appreciated if you can advise the way to check whether the file is included for searching
  • 7. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Christian Berg Guru
    Strange. Are you sure that your OPMN topology.xml configured correctly? EMTargettype, ports per component etc.?

It's in /.../user_projects/domains/YourDomain/opmn
  • 8. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Turbokat Pro
    Go to EM and Server.log then when you click on Log messages > Set the Message Types to [Trace] only > in the Message filter type in "sending query to database" then hit Search, if your logging is turned on then you should the queries here and Log files column should say nqquery.log.

Hope this helps.

-
    SVS
  • 9. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Sariel-SW Newbie
    Thanks for suggestion.

In fact, I have not update these values. How do I check the correctness for these values?
  • 10. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Sariel-SW Newbie
    This one already done and just said as before. NQQuery.log has results but the log viewer returns nothing
  • 11. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Christian Berg Guru
    Must reflect your actual setup (host names, ports,...). There was a bug in 6 version which were upgraded using in-place upgrading which blanked out this file for example. This is what one looks like:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <topology xmlns='http://www.oracle.com/fmw-nonj2ee-topology'>
      <ias-instance id="instance1" oracle-home="/home/oracle/obiee/Oracle_BI1" instance-home="/home/oracle/obiee/instances/instance1" host="sampleapp" port="9501">
        <ias-component id="coreapplication_obijh1" type="OracleBIJavaHostComponent">
          <em-properties>
            <property name="EMTargetType" value="oracle_bi_java_host"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedPort" value="9810"/>
          </em-properties>
        </ias-component>
        <ias-component id="coreapplication_obisch1" type="OracleBISchedulerComponent">
          <em-properties>
            <property name="originalAllocatedMonitorPort" value="9708"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedScriptRPCPort" value="9707"/>
            <property name="EMTargetType" value="oracle_bi_scheduler"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedPort" value="9705"/>
          </em-properties>
        </ias-component>
        <ias-component id="coreapplication_obis1" type="OracleBIServerComponent">
          <em-properties>
            <property name="originalAllocatedMonitorPort" value="9701"/>
            <property name="EMTargetType" value="oracle_bi_server"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedPort" value="9703"/>
          </em-properties>
        </ias-component>
        <ias-component id="coreapplication_obips1" type="OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent">
          <em-properties>
            <property name="EMTargetType" value="oracle_bi_presentation_services"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedPort" value="9710"/>
          </em-properties>
        </ias-component>
        <ias-component id="coreapplication_obiccs1" type="OracleBIClusterControllerComponent">
          <em-properties>
            <property name="originalAllocatedMonitorPort" value="9700"/>
            <property name="EMTargetType" value="oracle_bi_cluster_controller"/>
            <property name="originalAllocatedPort" value="9706"/>
          </em-properties>
        </ias-component>
      </ias-instance>
    </topology>
  • 12. Re: OBIEE and Enterprise Manager
    Sariel-SW Newbie
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I have checked the file and it is not blank. And values are set as default....

So it is so strange for me why it cannot be searched...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points