This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 2:25 AM by manwendra RSS

About the upgrade

hzg Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My old version of peopletools is 8.49 and the HRCS is 9.0 with no maintenance pack. Now I want to upgrade the peopletools to 8.52 and install the maintenance packs for HRCS. Study from the documents, I learned that I can copy an environment from my production and then upgrade the peopletools. After that I can test to move the changes to the new copy of production. At last I can move it to production. I understand that all the changes for peopletools are stored in database, so we can just move it to the database of the production environment by using AD. Should I move or install the new peopletools to the production environment?

How to find and resolve the error of the old customized after upgraded?

Edited by: hzg on Apr 18, 2013 11:42 AM
  • 1. Re: About the upgrade
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    hzg wrote:
    ...I understand that all the changes for peopletools are stored in database, so we can just move it to the database of the production environment by using AD. Should I move or install the new peopletools to the production environment?
    That's wrong, Peopletools includes binaries (PS_HOME), the client (AppDesigner, DataMover) and eventually the database.
    Going from 8.49 to 8.52 may also imply a change of hardware (check the certification matix).
    How to find and resolve the error of the old customized after upgraded?
    Test ?

Nicolas.
  • 2. Re: About the upgrade
    hzg Newbie
    Thanks Nicolas,you’re right. It changed including binaries (PS_HOME), the client and so on.
    I know that when I apply the maintenance pack for the HRCS, there are some steps that the change assistant will transfer some files to my test environment or file server. After that, I can instead the old PS_HOME of production by that PS_HOME in my test environment or file serve, and compare and migrate the new from the database to the production database. But for upgrade the peopletools only, I don’t see any step like those. Should I install the new release peopletools to the old PS_HOME instead?
  • 3. Re: About the upgrade
    Gpotti Explorer
    Hi Hzq,

In PeopleTools upgrade, the CA doesn't deploy files as it does in applying an MP. All the scripts, projects etc are coming from the new release PeopleTools.
    So, yes, you need to install the new release Tools. You need to install it to a new location not on top of the old PS_HOME

Check the Tools upgrade documentation for details

thanks
  • 4. Re: About the upgrade
    manwendra Newbie
    Upgrading from 8.49 to 8.52 would mean not only upgrade of Software but hardware as well.
    You would have to upgrade Tuxedo, Weblogic, JDK, etc as well.

It would be best to upgrade on a seperate location and then move your customizations.

Hope this Helps !!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points