This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 2:38 AM by yxes2013 RSS

Standby Confusions

yxes2013 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

When you say create standby database is it synonymous to DATAGUARD? or the manual standby? or the poor man's standby?

http://managingoracle.blogspot.com/2012/04/oracle-manual-standby-no-dataguard.html

Can this poor man's standby be able to switch over the standby to primary? and back again from primary to standby?

Manually remove standby databse

What did Tom from the link above has setup? is it a dataguard or just manual?

I thank you all,

zxy
  • 1. Re: Standby Confusions
    asahide Expert
    Can this poor man's standby be able to switch over the standby to primary? and back again from primary to standby?
    What is "poor man's standby" ?
    He use dgmgrl, so he use dataguard.
    dgmgrl is data guard interface.

Regards,
  • 2. Re: Standby Confusions
    sb92075 Guru
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Hi all,

When you say create standby database
    what is difference between what you label as standby database & RMAN DUPLICATE DATABASE?
  • 3. Re: Standby Confusions
    sulimo Explorer
    Have a look at:

http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/a-really-nontechnical-question-help,6

HTH
  • 4. Re: Standby Confusions
    SalmanQureshi Expert
    Hi all,
    When you say create standby database is it synonymous to DATAGUARD? or the manual standby? or the poor man's standby?
    http://managingoracle.blogspot.com/2012/04/oracle-manual-standby-no-dataguard.html
    In oracle standby database, redo log is applied to the standby database to keep it in sync with the primary database.
    Dataguard is a setup where one or multiple standby databases are configured which are in sync with primary database all the time and all this is done by Oracle itself.

What this guy is doing here is creating a copy of primary database and having manual methods to extract redo logs from primary and then shifting them to standby using his own written scripts. Doing this also needs a license from Oracle and hence this is not a "poor man's standby". Because Standard Edition does not have capability of data guard, hence this guy is using his "own" method of standby database. Remember, this still needs a separate standard edition license to have this kind of standby.

Manually remove standby databse
    NO. In case of primary database failure, you can't execute any dataguard standard command to failover (switchover will also not work here). You need to manually recover this "manual" standby and then open it using resetlogs and then direct your applications to this database.
    This is data guard configuration.

Salman

Edited by: Salman Qureshi on Apr 18, 2013 2:42 PM
  • 5. Re: Standby Confusions
    yxes2013 Newbie
    I thank you all :)
    This is not data guard, you may call it a manual standby database (also not supported by Oracle)

Can Tom setup be able to switch from standby to primary as well?

It is not clear to me :(

How many types of standby database does oracle have or how many variations or how many flavors?

When I run the command "create standby database" .....is it creating a DATAGUARD, or other types? or does all "standby database" always used this command?

Why is that in 11gR2 RAC cluster is already included or free. Does it include free standby license too?

Thanks again...

Edited by: yxes2013 on 17.4.2013 22:49
  • 6. Re: Standby Confusions
    1002948 Newbie
    There are 2 types of standby database
    1 physical standby
    2 logical standby

Data guard is not a standby db it manages the standby database..

Varun
  • 7. Re: Standby Confusions
    Girish Sharma Guru
    Data guard is a term and Physical Standby is a type of the standby database within a dataguard configuration i.e. dataguard is just the new marketing label for standby, resulting from an extra interface (Dataguard manager or Dataguard broker) to manage the standby database.

Two types of Standby Database (a) : Physical Standby Database (b) Logical Standby Database

How they creates and how they works, read relevant version's Oracle docs.

Regards
    Girish Sharma

Edited by: Girish Sharma on Apr 18, 2013 11:19 AM
    Aman And Sybrand @ Difference between physical standby database and Data Guard
  • 8. Re: Standby Confusions
    yxes2013 Newbie
    I thanks you all, now is getting clearer :)
    There are 2 types of standby database
    1 physical standby
    2 logical standby
    Which of the above is capable of swithing over from standby>primary>standby? I guess no.2?

Does dataguard manages both 1 & 2?
  • 9. Re: Standby Confusions
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    This is not data guard, you may call it a manual standby database (also not supported by Oracle)
    No, Tom in that thread does refer to DataGuard Broker Configuration. So it is not a manual standby.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 10. Re: Standby Confusions
    Which of the above is capable of swithing over from standby>primary>standby?
    See the documentation on Role Transitions
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/role_management.htm#i1033702

Hemant K Chitale
  • 11. Re: Standby Confusions
    Girish Sharma Guru
    Which of the above is capable of swithing over from standby>primary>standby? I guess no.2?
    You can switch over to / from both type of Standby Databases.

Switchover of Physical standby database in 11g
    http://shivanandarao-oracle.com/2012/04/23/switchover-of-physical-standby-database/

[url http://books.google.co.in/books?id=cpkWoXEWlTsC&pg=PA542&lpg=PA542&dq=switch+from+primary+to+logical+standby&source=bl&ots=WevVPmkVpc&sig=rHowpC9tS50lIG2ULL5mlPajSwY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XYxvUf3fNISzrAfc4IDwAQ&ved=0CGcQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=switch%20from%20primary%20to%20logical%20standby&f=false]Switchover to Logical Standby database

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 12. Re: Standby Confusions
    SalmanQureshi Expert
    Hi,
    No, Tom in that thread does refer to DataGuard Broker Configuration. So it is not a manual standby.
    Right, I was actually referring to the first link, not the oracle foums link. Corrected my mistake now by editing my reply.

Salman
  • 13. Re: Standby Confusions
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Thanks all :)

So, there is "manual" phycal standby and "manual" logical standby?

And there is "automated" physical standby and "automated" logical standby > which is done thru dataguard?
  • 14. Re: Standby Confusions
    You can actually build combinations -- e.g. a "scripted and automated" "standby" not using a standby controlfile, a "manual" standby using a standby controlfile etc.

Oracle allows flexibility in how you setup standbys.
    However, in general, using the Enterprise Edition, you build a standby with a standby controlfile and dataguard.
    Using Standard Edition, you build a "manual" or "scripted" standby because dataguard is not available in Standard Edition.

Hemant K Chitale
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points