This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 6:47 AM by Erik Janssen RSS

web server before application server?

user5636757 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi,
i have deployed an application on weblogic server.
i can access it using ip address of system where weblogic server is installed.

now in production environment i know that we configure a web server in front of application server, it could be either apache or IIS or any other. however i don't know if it's a mandatory thing and what exactly it's purpose and weather it's always required?

in my case, i don't have clustered environment which can be load balanced using web server, i don't have static content which i want to put on web server.
should i still use webserver?

thanks.

Edited by: user5636757 on Apr 5, 2013 9:27 AM
  • 1. Re: web server before application server?
    Marcus Rangel Journeyer
    now in production environment i know that we configure a web server in front of application server, it could be either apache or IIS or any other. however i don't know if it's a mandatory thing and what exactly it's purpose and weather it's always required?
    This is not a mandatory thing. Also, this forum is about iAS. For weblogic you'll have a better chance to get help if you go to: WebLogic Server - General
  • 2. Re: web server before application server?
    Erik Janssen Pro
    With a webserver in front of weblogic, you'll have more options for configuration. In addition, it can help you harden your configuration.

You can use a webtier installation. This will install OHS and mod_wl_ohs. You can then configure mod_wl_ohs to use your weblogic instance. Search Google for mod_wl_ohs and you'll find lots of resources. I found the following one helpful : http://middlewaremagic.com/weblogic/?p=6872

Thanks,
    EJ

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points