6 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 5:41 AM by Zim Stu2 RSS

Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2 legacy.js

Zim Stu2
      Hi All

We are currently using Oracle Apex version 4.2.1.00.08 on oracle 11g database. So far our Apex application works well on a PC and most mobile browsers without any issues. The problem we are having is that we need to get our application working on a Windows CE device running IE 6 with javascript 1.5 support.

When running an Apex 4.1.1.00.23 application on the Windows CE device, everything seems to work well, however when we run an Apex 4.2 application, there are multiple problems. The ability to submit throws an error from the devices browser and therefore stops us from authentication as well as performing other functionality. The error message thrown by the browser is “Error: Could not complete the operation due to error 80004001”.

I understand from the Apex change log of 4.1 to 4.2 that the reason for this might be the changes with Apex 4.2 no longer using the legacy.js library.

My question is, can anyone suggest a solution/changes whereby we can run an Apex 4.2 application that is compatible with a Windows CE Internet Explorer browser(javascript 1.5)?

I have already enabled the legacy support and the 4.1 compatibility options in the application, however this does not resolve the errors. There is no alternate browser we can install on the windows ce device as they are old and cannot be upgraded any further.

Thanks in advance
      Stuart
        • 1. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2 legacy.js
          Patrick Wolf-Oracle
          Hi Stuart,

your problem seems to be similar to Apex 4.2 with WP7 ( Windows Phone 7 ) Bug ? which we fixed in 4.2.1. We will investigate why the fix doesn't work for Windows CE

Regards
          Patrick
          -----------
          Member of the APEX development team
          My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
          APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
          Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/patrickwolf
          • 2. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2 legacy.js
            Zim Stu2
            Hi Patrick

Thanks for the reply will you let me know if you require anything more from my side.

Kind regards
            Stuart
            • 3. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2
              Anthony Rayner-Oracle
              Hi Stuart,

I wonder if you would mind performing a couple of very quick tests for us, using the device where you are experiencing this issue? We would very much appreciate it, if you can.

1) Run the following page: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=76226:1
              2) Enter any value into the 'Name?' field.
              3) Hit / tap Submit.
              This should fail, and you should get your error. Can you verify this?

4) Then, go to the 'Test Fix' tab and repeat steps 2 and 3. Can you verify this now submits properly? You will know because obviously no error, and also you will say a 'Hello <name>' message appear under the 'Name' field.

Also, what Windows CE version are you using, and also which device?

Regards,
              Anthony.
              • 4. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2
                Zim Stu2
                Hi Anthony

I have followed the steps provided with the following results.

1) Run the following page: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=76226:1
                2) Enter any value into the 'Name?' field.
                3) Hit / tap Submit.
                This should fail, and you should get your error. Can you verify this?

I entered a name into the “name” field and clicked on the submit button. The standard error occurred.

4) Then, go to the 'Test Fix' tab and repeat steps 2 and 3. Can you verify this now submits properly? You will know because obviously no error, and also you will say a 'Hello <name>' message appear under the 'Name' field.

When I click on the “Test Fix” tab, the error occurs again. (This presumably is due to the test fix tab using the apex.submit function). When I manually paste the address http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=76226:2 into the browser then click on the submit button the page submits correctly and the “Hello <name>” message appears below the name field.

Device: PSION TEKLOGIX 7535 G2

Regards
                Stuart
                • 5. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2
                  Anthony Rayner-Oracle
                  Hi Stuart,

Firstly apologies it's taken so long to get back to you and thank you so much for testing this, (and for getting around the problem in step 4 of my steps), nicely done.

We have been able to upload a patch to My Oracle Support, that fixes this issue. Please note this patch must be run on APEX 4.2.2, so you will need to upgrade to APEX 4.2.2 prior to running it.

Please login and search for the bug #16664953, and you should find the following "Patch 16664953: PAGE SUBMIT BROKEN FOR APPLICATIONS RUNNING ON WINDOWS CE DEVICES".

Hope this helps you out there, and thanks again for testing this for us.

Regards,
                  Anthony.

Edited by: Anthony Rayner on May 2, 2013 10:44 AM
                  • 6. Re: Javascript library changes between 4.1 and 4.2
                    Zim Stu2
                    Hi Anthony

Thanks very much for this. We are currently running 4.2.1 so it will be a little while before we can test this fully with the upgrade and patch set.

Thanks as well to the Apex team for great support and a great product.

Regards
                    Stuart