10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 6:33 AM by EdStevens RSS

Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin

Hello friends,
      I am new to Oracle DB. We have Oracle 11g DB installed on a 2008 server. I was just going through the Oracle home directory. I found two folders under G:\app\Administrator\admin directory. One as "Apps" and ohter named "EPM". I am not sure what is the meaning of this. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
          sb92075
          950330 wrote:
          Hello friends,
          I am new to Oracle DB. We have Oracle 11g DB installed on a 2008 server. I was just going through the Oracle home directory. I found two folders under G:\app\Administrator\admin directory. One as "Apps" and ohter named "EPM". I am not sure what is the meaning of this. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks
          we don't know what you or others have installed onto your system.

http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/ns/dlgwelcome.jsp?p_ext=Y&p_dlg_id=12006750&src=7665817&Act=15&sckw=WWMK12065299MPP002.GCM.8087.270
          • 2. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
            Thanks for your quick reply. I just wanted to know does this mean there are multiple database/instances running on this machine? When I try to connect to DB from sqlplus, by default it connects to epm instance and I am assuming there is another instance named Apps I need to access some schemas which are in Apps. I am not sure how to achieve this.
            • 3. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
              sb92075
              950330 wrote:
              Thanks for your quick reply. I just wanted to know does this mean there are multiple database/instances running on this machine? When I try to connect to DB from sqlplus, by default it connects to epm instance and I am assuming there is another instance named Apps I need to access some schemas which are in Apps. I am not sure how to achieve this.
              You are free to assume anything you want; regardless of how misguided it may be.

open a Command Window & issue the following OS command

dir %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\

COPY the results from above then PASTE all back here
              • 4. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                EdStevens
                950330 wrote:
                Since this appears to be a windows system (ugh!) you can check the Services applet. The databases will be represented as services name "OracleService<something>".
                • 5. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                  Thanks Ed,
                  I could see two such services,
                  OracleServiceAPPS and OracleServiceEPM. If I stop the OracleServiceEPM, I cannot connect to DB from sqlplus. and when both services are running, by default it connects to EPM instance.
                  • 6. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                    Thanks sb92075,
                    but I could not run this command. I am getting error as System can find path specified.

Edited by: 950330 on Apr 18, 2013 10:10 AM
                    • 7. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                      EdStevens
                      950330 wrote:
                      Thanks Ed,
                      I could see two such services,
                      OracleServiceAPPS and OracleServiceEPM. If I stop the OracleServiceEPM, I cannot connect to DB from sqlplus. and when both services are running, by default it connects to EPM instance.
                      Of course you cannot connect if the the service is stopped.

If you are making a connection to a database on the same machine your client is on (which appears to be the case here), you should set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to specify which database you want to connect to:

This demo is on Linux as I (thankfully) don't have a Windows installation that I can use for this. Just replace "export" with "set"
                      oracle:dwdevvb$ export ORACLE_SID=dwdevvb

oracle:dwdevvb$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Apr 18 12:19:49 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                      Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                      With the Automatic Storage Management option

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME
                      ----------------
                      dwdevvb

SQL> exit
                      Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                      With the Automatic Storage Management option

oracle:dwdevvb$ export ORACLE_SID=cogdevvb

oracle:cogdevvb$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Apr 18 12:20:26 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                      Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME
                      ----------------
                      cogdevvb

SQL>
                      That is for a "bequeath" (local machine) connection. For a connection across the network (which can also be on the local machine)

see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
                      see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex) 
                      • 8. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                        Thank you very much Ed! I was able to connect to APPS database after changing the ORACLE_SID to APPS.

Thanks again!
                        • 9. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                          Ed, may be you can give me some hint on this. Now I can connect to APPS db after changing the ORACLE_SID to APPS. I am trying to connect to one of the schema in APPS from weblogic server but its able to connect. I am getting error as No TNS Listener. I tried running command: lsntctl status and got result as
                          TNS-12541 No TNS Listener
                          TNS-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error
                          TNS-00511 No TNS Listener

Entries in tnsnames.ora:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
                          # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

APPS =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ASCUSSAP2)(PORT = 1521))
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                          (SERVICE_NAME = APPS)
                          )
                          )

EPM =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                          (SERVICE_NAME = EPM.ASCUSSAP2)
                          )
                          )

Entries in listener.ora:

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora

LISTENER1 =
                          (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          )
                          )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                          (SID_LIST =
                          (SID_DESC =
                          (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                          (ORACLE_HOME = G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
                          (PROGRAM = extproc)
                          (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
                          )
                          )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER1 = G:\app\Administrator

LISTENER =
                          (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          )
                          )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = G:\app\Administrator

There is one OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener service running.

Thanks in advance!
                          • 10. Re: Multiple folder at location: G:\app\Administrator\admin
                            EdStevens
                            950330 wrote:
                            Ed, may be you can give me some hint on this. Now I can connect to APPS db after changing the ORACLE_SID to APPS. I am trying to connect to one of the schema in APPS from weblogic server but its able to connect. I am getting error as No TNS Listener. I tried running command: lsntctl status and got result as
                            TNS-12541 No TNS Listener
                            TNS-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error
                            TNS-00511 No TNS Listener
                            This error would have been MUCH more informative if you had included the full command you issued that triggered the error.

Entries in tnsnames.ora:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

APPS =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                            (SERVICE_NAME = APPS)
                            )
                            )

EPM =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                            (SERVICE_NAME = EPM.ASCUSSAP2)
                            )
                            )

Entries in listener.ora:

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora

LISTENER1 =
                            (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            )
                            )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                            (SID_LIST =
                            (SID_DESC =
                            (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                            (ORACLE_HOME = G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
                            (PROGRAM = extproc)
                            (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:G:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
                            )
                            )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER1 = G:\app\Administrator

LISTENER =
                            (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            )
                            )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = G:\app\Administrator
                            Why do yo define two listeners (LISTENER1 and LISTENER)? And on the same port, no less. Remove the definition for LISTENER1. You don't need and it is just confusing the issue.

There is one OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener service running.

Thanks in advance!