5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 2:12 AM by Srinath Menon-Oracle RSS

Migrating content from one server to another

I have two UCM servers and I need to setup approval workflow on server1. On successful completion of workflow I need to migrate content automatically to other server (server2).

My approach is to write a java RIDC program which can migrate content from server1 to server2. Setup workflow on server1 and somehow call RIDC program to migrate content on server2.

My questions are
      1. Can I call java webservice or RIDC program on completion of a workflow.
      2. What is best way to migrate a single content with metadata to another server. While migrating there might be need to change metadata a bit. I believe RIDC could be the best way.

Thanks
      Sanjeev.
        • 1. Re: Migrating content from one server to another
          Srinath Menon-Oracle
          Hi Sanjeev ,

All your migration related clarifications are in the following documentation link :

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10792/c08_migration.htm#CHDFAJGF

Archiver is the best way to migrate content from 1 server to other .

Thanks,
          Srinath
          • 2. Re: Migrating content from one server to another
            Hi Srinath, Thank you for information. I am going over 'Automatic export/transfer/import' process to replicate content from one server to another. I have one doubt here.

It said user-attributes, will not be migrated. Does user-attribute mean custom metadata of a content? We need that to be migrated on new server.

Even if I setup two content servers for automatic content migration, I would need to call a java method on completion of a workflow. There is some custom java code, which needs to get executed on successful approval of a document. Is there any way I can do it? I believe I can use scripts in exit event. Is it right place to implement it? If yes, what is the way to call java method from idoc script? Where should I put my java code, will idocscript look in weblogic's shared libraries?

Thanks
            Sanjeev
            • 3. Re: Migrating content from one server to another
              Srinath Menon-Oracle
              Hi Sanjeev ,
              It said user-attributes, will not be migrated. Does user-attribute mean custom metadata of a content?
              User attributes are not content metadata but the actual user details who are using the system .

When you are migrating the content along with that all the content metadata is also moved to the other server .

By default no separate interface / java code is needed to migrate contents or start a replication process .

Thanks,
              Srinath
              • 4. Re: Migrating content from one server to another
                Hi Srinath, Thank you for information. It clarifies my doubt on user attributes but I other one (java method call on workflow completion) is still there.

I know I don't need custom java method to migrate data. But there is something else we want to do on this java method. This custom java code is not related with data migration. Actually we have some functional requirement to store few content_id in our custom table and we just want to record this approval status of document in that table. We would like to update our table on completion of workflow. There are other things also that we need to do on document approval. Java code is ready to do that but we don't know how to call it on completion of UCM workflow.

Thank you.
                Sanjeev.
                • 5. Re: Migrating content from one server to another
                  Srinath Menon-Oracle
                  Hi Sanjeev ,

Not sure that I get your exact requirement .

When you have a workflow and contents are processed through it , then the details of the steps / processes would be part of Workflowhistory table for the content . So if you are looking for a content item's exit then the code should keep track of the content's WFID and dStatus and based on that should execute the custom Java code when content is moved from Review to Released status .

Thanks,
                  Srinath