3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 7:34 AM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle RSS

Resource /forms/servlet not found on this server - Oracle Forms

Hello. I`m new in Oracle Forms. So can anyone help me with one thing. My exuses if there was such subject because all that I`ve found didn`t help.

I`ve installed Oracle Developer Suite 10.1.2. Then created the form in Forms Builder. When I try to run the form I get message: FRM-10142: The HTTP Listener is not running on <comp_name> at pory 8889. Please start the listener or check your runtime preferences.
      OC4J is started. I go to Edit -> Preferences -> Runtime and click Reset to Default it puts on Application Server URL such a string: http://<comp_name>:8889/forms/frmservlet. Then I`ve read somewhere that I may check the work of my OC4J by link When I did this I`ve got the message that such URL was not found. I decided to change a port number in URL (because read that some other ports can be used) for 8888. And I received the start page of Oracle Application Server. Then I`ve changed a Port Number in Application Server URL in Runtime Preferences. And the error about HHTP Listener didn`t appear again. But when I try to run the form there appears a message in my browser: 404 Not Found Resource /forms/frmservlet not found on this server.

So is the usage of 8888 port correct? Why do I have the error then?

Thanks to all.
        • 1. Re: Resource /forms/servlet not found on this server - Oracle Forms
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle
          The HTTP port configured at installation time is documented in portlist.ini. This file is found in the Oracle_Home\install directory.

Also note that it is important that you not only have a value in the Application Server URL field, you must also have a value set for Web Browser Location. A typical entry might look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

You can find more information about Oracle Forms here:

Just out of curiosity, you said you are new to Forms. Are you a student or have you been tasked by your employer to take responsibility for an existing Forms application or something else?
          • 2. Re: Resource /forms/servlet not found on this server - Oracle Forms
            Thanks for your answer.

So my port in portlist.ini is 8889. But why does it not work? And as I understand port 8888 works because I receive home page of Oracle Application Server.
            I haven`t mentioned that I had pointed the path of IE or Opera exe. But result is the same.

I learn Oracle Forms just for myself, because I have to write applications for Oracle and now learn different development tools.
            • 3. Re: Resource /forms/servlet not found on this server - Oracle Forms
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle
              There are several possibilities why 8889 doesn't work and 8888 might appear to:
              <blockquote>1. You or someone change the port configuration after the installation was completed.

2. You have another product installed on the machine which uses 8889. In other words, there is a port conflict

3. Port 8889 is being blocked by a locally running firewall or security software

4. Port 8888 might be working if, as stated in #1, you changed the port or if you are running a similar product which is using 8888. For example Application Server (iAS).</blockquote>
              To help you better understand what is going on, I would recommend that you use the Windows netstat* command or download and use TCPView from SysInternals. Either of these tools can be used to show which port a process is using. In the case of Oracle Developer Suite (OC4J), the process with the Listening port will be "java.exe" so it may be a little confusing to identify it if you are running more than one java proc, but at least this should help you to see what is happening.

You can use the following tests to determine when you have identified the correct port:

If neither of the above work, refer to the results of TCPView to determine which port the java proc is using.