This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 6:44 AM by ShakeebR RSS

APEX 4.2 Bug - Missing grids with form items

SaraB Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

We're having big problems with css grid layouts when used with form items in APEX 4.2. Firstly, grids for region layout is brilliant and this is a big step forward, however to insist the same layout system is used for form items doesn't make sense. Form items are usually fixed width and need to be kept in a specific position all the time, which are two of the biggest weak points of css grids.

We've managed to work round most of the issues, however we're now completely stuck!

We have many pages that have a classic report with a search. The search always has a text field followed by two buttons (go and reset), but there could be other search fields that either appear before the search text field or on the line above. As everything is appearing in the same column, the grid is not output. However, we have no way of knowing if the items should be on the same line or not. Regardless of what New Row is set to, the APEX output is exactly the same.

- Shouldn't the grid be output in all scenarios? Otherwise this is really inconsistent and impossible to handle.
- Item buttons should be wrapped in a label template so that theme designers have greater control over placement, alignment and spacing.
- The whole form isn't wrapped in anything, which makes it impossible to target with css, especially when there is other region content with inputs and buttons (such as a report or custom html). This could be easily fixed by always outputting a grid and adding an extra class to it when it's a form e.g "apex-form". Like the old table with class "formlayout".

These issues are major problems for us. We use APEX extensively and have custom themes for each of our customers. Unfortunately, these problems mean we can't generate user friendly forms in APEX 4.2. Is there anything that Oracle can do to help? Or a workaround that would at least force the grid to always be output for form layouts?

Many thanks
Sara
  • 1. Re: APEX 4.2 Bug - Missing grids with form items
    SaraB Newbie
    Bump.

Is there any solution to this?

It looks like we may have to ditch css grids in our design as we just can't layout the forms. Is there any way you can get a button item next to a text field without having a multi column grid? We have lots of forms which have disabled text fields followed by a button which links to a another page containing a search, these forms only have one column if they have more than that then you lose half the page. But we just can't get the button next to the field, it seems to be impossible.

Any suggestions? This is very frustrating and will be a lot of work for us if we now have to ditch css grids.

Hope what we're trying to achieve is clear.

Sara
  • 2. Re: APEX 4.2 Bug - Missing grids with form items
    Patrick Wolf Employee ACE
    Hi Sara,

I was able to reproduce that Item Buttons do always show up in a new line if "New Column" = No is used in a theme 25 app. I have forwarded this OTN forum thread to our CSS expert to give some input.
    As everything is appearing in the same column, the grid is not output. However, we have no way of knowing if the items should be on the same line or not. Regardless of what New Row is set to, the APEX output is exactly the same.
    - Shouldn't the grid be output in all scenarios? Otherwise this is really inconsistent and impossible to handle.
    Why do you need the information if it's displayed in the same row or not? Isn't that driven by CSS? In the case of theme 25, it's my understanding that "fieldContainer" is always displayed as "block", so it will be displayed in a new line unless it's wrapped in grid column DIVs. Because of that, the grid markup isn't rendered if the grid isn't really used.

Would you prefer a configuration option for the Grid Layout configuration in Page Templates to always render the grid?

Workaround: Set the "Column Span" of any page item to a value higher than 1. This will always force a grid layout.
    - Item buttons should be wrapped in a label template so that theme designers have greater control over placement, alignment and spacing.
    Actually we want to unify region and item buttons to just buttons. We have to have a look what makes sense. Have you thought about creating an "Inline Button" button template which emits the necessary HTML markup?

I'm not really a CSS export, so I hope Shakeeb will provide you some additional input.

Regards
    Patrick
    -----------
    Member of the APEX development team
    My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
    APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/patrickwolf
  • 3. Re: APEX 4.2 Bug - Missing grids with form items
    Stephen Blair Newbie
    Hi Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our query. I must admit that Sara started this thread on my behalf as I was busy trying to resolve this problem at the time!

I have put together a demo page which I hope outlines our issues with form layouts:

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=64788:1

I think I might now have an acceptable solution for our particular problem, but perhaps this small demo might help inform future direction on this aspect of APEX?

Regards,
    Stephen
  • 4. Re: APEX 4.2 Bug - Missing grids with form items
    ShakeebR Explorer

Hi Stephen,

So sorry for getting back to this topic so late.  Here is a simpler, CSS-based approach you can use to align your item buttons directly next to any given item.  You were very close in your page of examples, but were just missing one small part (floating the buttons to the left, too, so they are next to the relevant field). Please take a look at this example. In addition, I've written this post a while back on additional form fixes with Theme 25 that you may find helpful in the meantime.

Thanks so much for the detailed demo page.  We will review the grid layout engine and see what changes need to be made so form layout is easier to work with than it is currently.

Best,

Shakeeb

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points