This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 7:21 AM by DK2010 RSS

Large data spooling

1003986 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
1. Need to transfer about a GB of data from one Oracle database system to another on a daily basis. Does anyone see a problem with fetching that much of data using database link? If this is not a good option, what are my other options. We tried spooling the data and loading. That takes hours to complete.
  • 1. Re: Large data spooling
    DK2010 Guru
    Hi,

What DB/OS version you are using.
    i believe database link is not good option.
    You can use the Sqlloader to laod the data.. in batch files.

Edited by: DK2010 on Apr 19, 2013 6:44 AM
  • 2. Re: Large data spooling
    FreddieEssex Pro
    I've used datapump using a database link in the past and it should be able to easily handle 1GB of data. Of course that would depend on how fast/slow you network is.

From memory we had 10's of GB of data (in terms of schema size in dba_segments) and this took less than half hour to complete.

It was a case of:

1) Creating the appropriate database links on your target database.
    2) Creating the users which would do the export/import on both your source and target databases.
    3) Create database directories where datapump files will be created (if they don't already exist).
    4) Create a procedure which does the export/import.
    5) Schedule this procedure to run in a database job.

Google data pump network import for more info and details on how to set this up.

I remember it was a bit fiddly to set it up but once up and running it worked like a dream.

Another option is to do something similar but just use a shell script to do your export/import using datapump. Schedule the shell script in cron.
  • 3. Re: Large data spooling
    DK2010 Guru
    Hi

Its duplicate thread of

Large data spooling

please do not raise duplicate

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points