1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 9:18 AM by gimbal2 RSS

While fixing security issues WebStart is getting broken

Hi,
      It looks like Java quality is really going down teribly. May be Oracle is targeting only web apps with Java.
      We have reported an issue regarding WebStart failing in JRE1.8 due problem in cache management in this blog.
      http://www.java.net/forum/topic/jdk/java-se-snapshots-project-feedback/java-8-old-jnlp-being-used-java-cache-even-if-jnlp-codebase-updated
      Then we were asked to report the same in Bug database. We did that but the issue was never addressed as bug at least we didnot get a confirmation. We hoped it will get fixed in later release of JRE 1.8. As it is still not present in market.
      Now with java 7 update 21 the same bug was introduced where UpdateCheck just fails to launch. So it means no one is tracking these issues deliberately.

My client is a very big Medical Devices company and the desktop product with user base more than lakhs in 20 different countries. Now for this obvious issue they may have to connect to all the users and update them. They now have decided to build the same product with any language other than Java.
        • 1. Re: While fixing security issues WebStart is getting broken
          gimbal2
          I feel sorry for you, but this is a user to user forum for programmers; we're all at the mercy of Oracle, just like you. Making complaints here is not going to do anything.

And yes, Java is more oriented towards server and web environments and has been for over a decade.
          They now have decided to build the same product with any language other than Java.
          Seems like a well-thought out decision, not everyone has the guts to make such a move. I have respect for that.