10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 8:31 AM by yxes2013 RSS

10g replication

yxes2013
      Hi all,

What is the free replication tool for Oracle 10g?

Is streams can be installed in there?

Thanks a lot
        • 1. Re: 10g replication
          Girish Sharma
          Oracle and OS Version Please?
          • 2. Re: 10g replication
            yxes2013
            Ops sori

SLES 10
            • 3. Re: 10g replication
              Girish Sharma
              I think below can be treated as replication tools :

1.Materialized Views
              2.Standby Database
              3.Oracle Streams Only available in Enterprise Edition
              4.Advance Replication
              5.[url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=36895&#36895]Oracle replication third party tools
              6.[url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14226/reprepman.htm]Introduction to the Replication Management Tool
              7.[url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=514835]How to do replication in oracle 10g

Regards
              Girish Sharma
              • 4. Re: 10g replication
                yxes2013
                Thanks girish :)

I want to replicate 5 tables, and the option is to use only of Oracle embedding free tools in 10g EE.

Does this mean I can have 5 kinds of replication types and possibilities?

1. Materialized Views.
                2. Normal replication. (not-advance) > is this the opposite of "advance" replication?
                3. Advance replication.
                4. Streams
                5. Standby Database.

Thanks

Edited by: yxes2013 on 20.4.2013 1:53
                • 5. Re: 10g replication
                  Girish Sharma
                  Oracle supports two different forms of replication: basic and advanced replication.

Basic Replication

With basic replication, data replicas provide read-only access to the table data that originates from a primary (master) site. Applications can query data from local data replicas to avoid network access regardless of network availability. However, applications throughout the system must access data at the primary site when updates are necessary.

Advanced (Symmetric) Replication

The Oracle advanced replication features extend the capabilities of basic read-only replication by allowing applications to update table replicas throughout a replicated database system. With advanced replication, data replicas anywhere in the system can provide both read and update access to a table's data. Participating Oracle database servers automatically work to converge the data of all table replicas, and ensure global transaction consistency and data integrity.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A58617_01/server.804/a58227/ch_repli.htm

So, you have 4 options for replication :

1.MVs a.k.a. Advanced Replication
                  2.Streams
                  3.Standby
                  4.Basic replication

Regards
                  Girish Sharma

Edited by: Girish Sharma on Apr 20, 2013 2:50 PM
                  Correction as per reply by Justin.
                  • 6. Re: 10g replication
                    JustinCave
                    Options 1-3 appear to be the same thing. The question is whether you need bidirectional replication or unidirectional replication and whether you need transactional consistency across the tables. That will determine whether you need simple read-only materialized views, whether you need updatable materialized views, whether you need refresh groups, etc.

Unless your database contains only 5 tables, it seems highly unlikely that you would want to use a standby database. Particularly since in a number of previous threads you've indicated that you want to avoid using DataGuard (despite that being included with your enterprise edition license).

Justin
                    • 7. Re: 10g replication
                      yxes2013
                      I thank you all :)

Yes, standby and dataguard is out since it always need to be down when updated.

So only advance replication uses materialized view, or view logs? what does basic replication uses?
                      • 8. Re: 10g replication
                        JustinCave
                        yxes2013 wrote:
                        Yes, standby and dataguard is out since it always need to be down when updated.
                        Huh? That sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
                        So only advance replication uses materialized view, or view logs? what does basic replication uses?
                        What you are referring to as "basic replication" uses materialized views. Advanced replication also uses materialized views. Both would generally use materialized view logs unless you really want to replicate every row in the table every time.

Justin
                        • 9. Re: 10g replication
                          Girish Sharma
                          What you are referring to as "basic replication"
                          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A58617_01/server.804/a58227/ch_repli.htm#1149

But from Oracle Release 8.0 docs, which is not OP's version. I tried to search in 10g version, but could not find.

Regards
                          Girish Sharma
                          • 10. Re: 10g replication
                            yxes2013
                            Huh? That sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
                            I mean standby and dataguard are not my choices. :) so they are out of the picture.

So "snapshot" is for basic replication? and "materialized" view is for advance replication?

The first is read only and the 2nd is read-write?

I can not understand what hold the snapshot to be in read-write mode too? or what prohibits it?

Thanks