This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 5:22 AM by user1013530 RSS

Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"

955031 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, could someone please recommend a book to prepare for the "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL" certification that i plan to take after 2 weeks.
Found the below 4 books, while going through different threads; would be great if you could suggest 1 of these books or any other book that may have helped you clear the certification. I am NOT looking at certification dumps or tests that are available in the internet in various websites.

1. Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein +(guess #1 & #2 are same)+
2. Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl
3. Oracle Database 11g: PL/SQL Programming by Michael McLaughlin (Oracle Press)
4. OCP Developer PL/SQL Program Units Exam Guide: Steve O'Heran

Thanks
Kiran
  • 1. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    bigdelboy Pro
    952028 wrote:
    Hi, could someone please recommend a book to prepare for the "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL" certification that i plan to take after 2 weeks.
    Found the below 4 books, while going through different threads; would be great if you could suggest 1 of these books or any other book that may have helped you clear the certification. I am NOT looking at certification dumps or tests that are available in the internet in various websites.

1. Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein +(guess #1 & #2 are same)+
    2. Oracle PL/SQL Programming: Covers Versions Through Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (Animal Guide) by Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl
    3. Oracle Database 11g: PL/SQL Programming by Michael McLaughlin (Oracle Press)
    4. OCP Developer PL/SQL Program Units Exam Guide: Steve O'Heran

Thanks
    Kiran
    I wouldn;t normally be expecting this question two weeks before someone is about to take the exam.

This close to the exam I would probably consider ISBN-13: 978-1478217992 Study Guide for 1Z0-144: Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL: Oracle Certification Prep [Paperback] by Matthew Morris ( who regularly posts here) possibly a kindle edition if you are pushed for time, and do a gap analysis. If the gap analysis shows you need more in different areas then (1/2) latst edition or (3) may help presen things in a different way. Or you might be able to yuse Matthews book to cross refernce to Oracle Online Documentation. If you are a serious PL/SQL developer then perhaps you should purchase (2) anyway; though (3) might give better exam coverage.

Please note you should not take views as independent as I have interacted with a couple of these authors on the list on the forum, though I believe I have given an honest opinion. My honest opinion is also you may need to consider deferring the exam for a litle if you can, but i do not knw your current ability so i cannot be sure in that statement.
  • 2. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    matthew_morris Expert
    As bigdelboy posted, looking for a source two weeks before you are planning to take the test is a giant red flag (especially when you don't even have the study materials yet). I consider a four-week study period to be a crash-study program when it's for a topic I know well. I don't know how familiar you are with PL/SQL, so I don't know whether or not to recommend my guide to you. I want to make one thing clear, it is not what I consider to be a primary source. A primary source is one that can take you from not knowing a subject to knowing it reasonably well. The Oracle documentation is an excellent primary source. The Oracle Press series of certification manuals are another. The four books you mention all qualify, albeit none is specific to this test.

The series that I write are study guides. They are highly focused on the test and only on the test. Reading my study guide for 1Z0-144 will not make you a PL/SQL programmer. It contains many of the facts that you should know as a PL/SQL programmer (because that's what the test is about). However, it does not attempt to teach you how to develop in PL/SQL.

If you can add a few more weeks to your study plan, that would be my first recommendation. If for some reason you have to take the test in two weeks, then my book would very likely improve your chance of passing. Whether you will (or should) pass given such a brief period of study largely depends on how much PL/SQL you know right this minute. It is not a simple test and the time crunch is brutal. I talk about this in my article on the test here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Studying-for-1Z0-144:-Oracle-Database-11g:-Program-With-PL/SQL&id=7170691
  • 3. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    955031 Newbie
    Thanks bigdelboy and Mathew for your responses and suggestions.

I did download the ebook from Oracle website and currently preparing using this for sometime now, "Oracle® Database PL/SQL Language Reference 11g Release 2 (11.2) Part Number E25519-05). Link i used for downloading this was, "http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e25519.pdf".
    I meanwhile wanted to check if there is a book that would help me prepare better for this certification, since i have been working on pl/sql for about 10 years now and my objective now is to clear this certification.

Mathew, i beleive your book, would have been a good one for me, unfortunately i am currently based in India and do not have access to your book here. I did check for availability in a couple of book stores here. Hence, wanted to check if any of the 4 books would help me prepare for this certification or if i would be better off going through the ebook that i downloaded from link pasted in my post above.
  • 4. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    matthew_morris Expert
    The Oracle documentation is an excellent source to study for the test -- by many measures the best way to study. The PL/SQL Language Reference has probably 85+% of the information you'll need. However, you also want to download the following Oracle manual at least:

PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference
    http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/to_pdf?pathname=appdev.112/e25788.pdf

The following two are also potentially useful:

Advanced Application Developer's Guide
    http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/to_pdf?pathname=appdev.112/e25518.pdf

2 Day Developer's Guide
    http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/to_pdf?pathname=appdev.112/e10766.pdf
  • 5. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    955031 Newbie
    Thanks bigdelboy and Mathew for your responses and suggestions.

I cleared the 1z0-144 certification last week and as suggested my preparation for the certification was completely based on the online documentation from Oracle.
    I did find time to be a major constraint on this exam though, and had to finish the last set of questions in real quick time..

Thanks again..
  • 6. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    982472 Newbie
    anybody can help me , is it necessary to complete 1z0-051 or 1z0-047 before doing 1z0-144 .
  • 7. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    bigdelboy Pro
    979469 wrote:
    anybody can help me , is it necessary to complete 1z0-051 or 1z0-047 before doing 1z0-144 .
    DOING IT IN BOLD DOESNT HELP ... nor does capitals ;-)

It is not necessary to do 1z0-051 or 1z0-047 before doing 1z0-144 ; however it is generally advised.

However to obtain the PL/SQL OCA certification (1z0-051 or 1z0-047) and 1z0-144 will both need to be passed in any order (there are some alternatives).

Unless your SQL and exam taking is very good do not attempt 1z0-047.

Further details at http://certification.oracle.com
  • 8. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    986284 Newbie
    Hi,

I'm planning for 1z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL.
    Can u please suggest the Study Material (preferably the book) for this exam.
  • 9. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    bigdelboy Pro
    983281 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm planning for 1z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL.
    Can u please suggest the Study Material (preferably the book) for this exam.
    Matthew .. who often posts on this forum ... has gathered an excellent set of resources here:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-144

( ... Which includes his study guide for the exam. IMHO most experienced professionals would find his study guide useful, especially for identifying knowledge gaps, but those with little PL/SQL knowledge will also require another PL/SQL source ... Matthew says as much on the description ).
  • 10. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    823216 Newbie
    Hi,

I had cleared 1Z0-007 Exam long back and now want to complete OCA certfication. Please confirm me if 1Z0-007 exam can be combined with 1Z0-144 - Program with PL/SQL to complete OCA?

Or I have to take both 11g exam? 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-144.

Edited by: 820213 on Apr 21, 2013 1:01 AM
  • 11. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    matthew_morris Expert
    Please confirm me if 1Z0-007 exam can be combined with 1Z0-144 - Program with PL/SQL to complete OCA?
    Any SQL fundamentals exam is sufficient. You could even have used the (very) old 1Z0-001.
  • 12. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    823216 Newbie
    Thanks Matthew for your guidance. Could you please suggest me relevant study material for 1Z0-144 exam?
  • 13. Re: Recommended Book for "1Z0-144 -> Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL"
    bigdelboy Pro
    820213 wrote:
    Thanks Matthew for your guidance. Could you please suggest me relevant study material for 1Z0-144 exam?
    Words fail me ... message 10805810 ( {message:id=10805810} ) about 4 posts back certainly does fail me! That post was indeed appropriately suggestive!
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points