10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2013 2:14 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

2 App tier without RAC

Walashkar
      Dear All,

We have currently r12.1.3 installed on Linux 64 bit with Db and APPS on two different nodes. Now the requirement is to

a) to configure/add one more server to the application server pool (active-active)

How to do this. I don't have RAC DB. So, PCP cannot be implemeted.

b) Can we have DNS configured to distribute the connections between both the application servers. If so,how to do.

Please advise.
        • 1. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
          Kashif M
          You need to go for Load Balancing on apps tier, refer MOS notes:
          Using Load-Balancers with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 380489.1]
          Implementing Load Balancing On Oracle E-Business Suite - Documentation For Specific Load Balancer Hardware [ID 727171.1]
          thanks
          • 2. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
            Walashkar
            Thanks Kashif. Please advise the services need to be enabled in the 2nd node. I believe we cannot have PCP ..Concurrent need to be configured in one app server only.

Pelase advise
            • 3. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
              Walashkar
              I have a client who has oracle ebs running on 2 nodes - DB and APP are on 2 differnet nodes..
              Now for DB HA- they will have physical standby
              and for APP HA - Can I clone the app instance to one more server ?
              if so, what are the services need to be enabled for this 2nd instance ..

Any ML notes on this ?
              • 4. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                and for APP HA - Can I clone the app instance to one more server ?
                Yes.
                if so, what are the services need to be enabled for this 2nd instance ..

Any ML notes on this ?
                Enable the following services:

Web Application Services
                Web Entry Point Services
                Root Services

On a R12 Multi-Node Install -- Why do all Middle Tiers run all Services? [ID 415385.1]
                Configuring Applications Node Services in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 406558.1]

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                  Walashkar
                  Thanks Hussein. I was waiting on you . :)

So, 1st node will have all the services enabled and 2nd node will have only the below enabled.

Web Application Services
                  Web Entry Point Services
                  Root Services

Please confirm.
                  • 6. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    Thanks Hussein. I was waiting on you . :)
                    So, 1st node will have all the services enabled and 2nd node will have only the below enabled.

Web Application Services
                    Web Entry Point Services
                    Root Services

Please confirm.
                    Yes.

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                      Walashkar
                      Dear Hussein,

With the above configuration, concurrent managers will run on node 1 only. Incase if node 1 is down, is there a way to have the concurrent running on node 2 with out having RAC .

Please advise.
                      • 8. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        936074 wrote:
                        Dear Hussein,

With the above configuration, concurrent managers will run on node 1 only. Incase if node 1 is down, is there a way to have the concurrent running on node 2 with out having RAC .

Please advise.
                        Yes, you can start the CM manually on the second node -- Set "s_batch_status" context variable in the application env file and run AutoConfig.

On a R12 Multi-Node Install -- Why do all Middle Tiers run all Services? [ID 415385.1]

Thanks,
                        Hussein
                        • 9. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                          Walashkar
                          Thanks Hussein.

Set "s_batch_status" context variable in the application env file and run AutoConfig

Do , I have to perform the above when node 1 is down or can I do it during configuration
                          • 10. Re: 2 App tier without RAC
                            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                            936074 wrote:
                            Thanks Hussein.

Set "s_batch_status" context variable in the application env file and run AutoConfig

Do , I have to perform the above when node 1 is down or can I do it during configuration
                            Since you do not want to implement PCP, set this context variable to disabled on the second application node. Whenever the CM goes down on node 1 and you want to enable it on the second node then set the context variable to enabled and run AutoConfig and you will be able to start/run the CM on node 2.

Thanks,
                            Hussein