This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 10:28 AM by Murray9654 RSS

is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?

Murray9654 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I am not sure whether it is relevant here but i have been tired searching on google for very good and decent forums like the forums here for discussing general issues about technology , such as design issues, approaches in application development. Something like "stack overflow" . I have not liked stack overflow because it is very strictly question and answer site. They have very strict policies. They keep locking accounts if the question is not to their standards. I am looking out for a forum where we can discuss beginner level question to expert level and on any general topic and on any language.

I have been here for from so many years and like I am so happy with java forums(oracle forums). so many times I feel like my life would have been so difficult on java without these forums. People are really good and amazing here. I am looking out something like this.

Please don't mind for posting this question. There is a large technical gathering here. So i thought if any body already found one it could be of help.
  • 1. Re: is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?
    EJP Guru
    That's really interesting. I would have thought this site was moderated much more strictly than StackOverflow, yet you find the opposite.

Have you tried the Java Ranch? I don't use it much but it seems to make a big effort to be very friendly.
  • 2. Re: is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?
    Murray9654 Newbie
    Hi,
    here it is not like "stack overflow". Here the moderaters locks the thread and posts a reason for locking the thread. Then we have a chance to think, what not to be posted and what can be posted. And we avoid doing that mistake again. But there if we are off the forum boundaries for 2 times then they lock the account. There is no chance for us to rectify our mistake. More over locking an account says like we are not interested in you, it is much like we don't like you being around. When they don't like us why we should hang around. We have kept some effort answering and providing suggestions and have earned some points and all of sudden there will be lock on the account. Something made me feel too bad. It is not about the account and points. if they lock one account I can create 100. but why should we hang around with the people who does not like us.

Here I have much peace of mind. Here I have liked the people and environment.

Any ways will try "java ranch" for general design and approach issues. Basically i use "stack overflow" for Android and hibernate and like some few other technologies. If any body knows any such forums(single place where we can discuss technical issues) please let me know.

Thanking you.

Edited by: Muralidhar on Apr 20, 2013 3:33 PM
  • 3. Re: is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?
    KonradZuse Explorer
    Code Ranch is awful. You get answers, but not after being ridiculed by people with huge ego's, and nothing to show for their "Amazing coding ability." Users on this forum, I've found are much nicer, though I've seen a couple egos here too. I'm mostly in the FX forum and everyone is super nice there.

I would post your questions here, it's waaaay better than stack overflow... I'm surprised people still use that poorly laid out site.
  • 4. Re: is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?
    Murray9654 Newbie
    Thanks for ur suggestion. Definitely I am not looking for an alternative for Oracle forums. I am looking out for forum for the topics that we are not supposed to discuss here.
  • 5. Re: is there a good forums like java Forums for general technical issues?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Muralidhar wrote:
    Thanks for ur suggestion. Definitely I am not looking for an alternative for Oracle forums. I am looking out for forum for the topics that we are not supposed to discuss here.
    You want generic tech forums; for example when you want to install and maintain Java on Linux a forum specific to the particular flavor of Linux you're using is a good bet. You want forums where advanced computer users visit; arguably you can say that a programming forum is also such a site, but programmers don't have to be knee deep into the system maintenance stuff to do their work.

A good reason to want non-programming help with Java on Windows is the installation, which is very delicate indeed. But Oracle only rolls out the installer using an installer generator like anyone else; if something blows up its generic support with the windows installer services that you're looking for. That is Microsoft territory, not Oracle.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points