3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 5:24 AM by r035198x

Can I prove my APPLICATION is 100% JEE Compliant?

Hi Everyone,
      I have a huge problem... I work as an architect/developer i a large insurance company and lately we've had huge problems with a number of our applications while using 3 Websphere Application Server 7 in a clustered environment. We have a number of problems that showed up after going from 1 server to a clustered environment. For example when operations stops on of the servers the applications loses their session. Not all the times but sometimes... and sometimes the lost sessions "reappear" after a few seconds. Almost like if the session takes a few seconds to move from one server to the other...

NOW to my dilemma... the operations department standard answer when we get these kind of errors is that:

-"Your applications is probably not JEE Compliant" come back when you are 100% sure your application is 100% JEE Compliant.

Is that a common response in your part of the world?
      In that case how do you prove that your applications is 100% JEE Compliant?
      Is it even possible?

The thing is that we have pretty straight forward applications that mostly fetches some data from old legacy systems, stores them in session, makes a few calls and so on. No EJB or anything like that. We've made sure on the developer side that everything we store on session implements serializable and has a SERIAL_UID but other than that I just don't know what else to check or prove!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

regards Desperate Developer
        • 1. Re: Can I prove my APPLICATION is 100% JEE Compliant?
          Crossposted:
          http://www.coderanch.com/t/610061/Websphere/prove-APPLICATION-JEE-Compliant

http://www.java-forums.org/advanced-java/71864-can-i-prove-my-application-100-jee-compliant.html
          • 2. Re: Can I prove my APPLICATION is 100% JEE Compliant?
            gimbal2
            1001742 wrote:
            Is that a common response in your part of the world?
            Is this a normal question in your part of the world? :s I find it a bit offensively toned to be honest.
            In that case how do you prove that your applications is 100% JEE Compliant?
            You can't really, the best you can do is try to follow the specifications.
            Is it even possible?
            Everything is possible, not everything is feasible and/or a good idea.
            The thing is that we have pretty straight forward applications that mostly fetches some data from old legacy systems, stores them in session, makes a few calls and so on. No EJB or anything like that. We've made sure on the developer side that everything we store on session implements serializable and has a SERIAL_UID but other than that I just don't know what else to check or prove!
            The JEE specifications. That is quite a read. I would rather take the comment you got with a grain of salt and translate it like "I don't want this to be my problem, I'll just throw it back over the fence with a random argument".
            • 3. Re: Can I prove my APPLICATION is 100% JEE Compliant?
              r035198x
              You need to read up more about clustering. Lots of things can go wrong if code wasn't written with a clustered deployment in mind and the EE specs are filled with warnings about scenarios that will not work in clustered environments. Storing data in sessions actually makes clustering harder. Go through this page to understand what is required to make sessions work in a cluster http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/tprs_sep1.html.