4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 8:29 PM by Vite DBA RSS

MS Access Application Authentication using LDAP for Oracle DB

Patza
      Hello,

We currently have an application that was designed in MS Access with uderlying DB as MS Access itself. As you understand how the bad performance must be, so we plan to slowly switch the application to Oracle DB (11g). As a first step, we would like to replace the Access DB with Oracle DB keeping the front end as it is in MS Access.

At the moment, the user opens the application on his/her own system and is logged on automatically using the windows credentials. The question remains is how this would work when we switch the application to oracle DB. This is to ensure that the use sees no difference right now. Is it possible ?

Thanks,
      Patza
        • 1. Re: MS Access Application Authentication using LDAP for Oracle DB
          BluShadow
          Interesting question, and one probably more suited for people who are experts in the MS Access toy (well let's face it it's not a grown-up's database :D )

I'm guessing the MS Access application is a client side app. in which case I would guess that the authentication for use access is done through the application itself, and is not really a concern of the underlying database that the application runs against (Can MS Access apps, actually run against anything other than MS Access databases?).

If this were a project put on my desk, I'd be pushing for a full scale migration of database and app at the same time, looking to re-work the whole database (as appropriate) and re-create a new app using something like Oracle Application Express (APEX), and that would eliminate any potential cross-technology issues.
          • 2. Re: MS Access Application Authentication using LDAP for Oracle DB
            Billy~Verreynne
            MS Access will be the client. It will establish a connection and session with Oracle. This needs to be authenticated.

So you can approach this as a standard app tier problem. The client automatically connects to the database, using trusted credentials. The client then authenticates the user itself, by checking that user's credentials (itself, or against the database via its trusted database session).

PS. I agree with Blu. I would dump MS Access all together and redo this using Apex.
            • 3. Re: MS Access Application Authentication using LDAP for Oracle DB
              Patza
              Thank you !

You are right, they have now decided to replace the application as well. So, no more worry :-)

Cheers!
              • 4. Re: MS Access Application Authentication using LDAP for Oracle DB
                Vite DBA
                Hi Patza,

Billy and Blu have already identified Apex (Application Express) as a likely candidate for your application. To add weight to their argument, in case you're not aware, Apex has a migration tool for MS Access that can ease some of the pain. See

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/doc.42/e35126/appmgr.htm#BCGBBDAC

Regards
                Andre