This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 12:30 AM by BillyVerreynne Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: commit in procedures
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    sybrand_b wrote:
    Strongly disagree and this is completely wrong advice to newbies.
    It is actually appalling you recommend this.
    I fully agree with Frank and Blu. The nature of the processing determines where the transaction is committed.

People are quick to say "+Do not commit in PL/SQL, commit in the caller!+" - as the ignorant gets it wrong and commit/rollback the transaction at the wrong place and in the wrong layer.

But that is a silly response. Why?

It is like some using a steak knife to eat and cutting themselves - and then are told to only ever use the plastic knife from KFC as that is a safe knife to use.

Okay, not a great analogy. But it does illustrate the point. Instead of using a plastic knife, the person needs to be told when to use a steak knife, and how to use a steak knife - and not be told that steak knives (commit in procedures) are so wrong that these should never be used.

As I told Tom when he, IMO, raised the really ridiculous notion that commits should be a restricted/prohibitive feature in the PL/SQL language. Commit in the app layer? I agree! BUT PL/SQL IS MY DAMN APPLICATION LAYER!!! So arguing that commits should not be allowed in PL/SQL procedures, is a silly and far fetched idea WITHOUT any merit.

Problems need to be solved by education. Not by denying a specific (valid) method, keeping the ignorant, ignorant - arguing that they are after all ignorant.
  • 16. Re: commit in procedures
    APC Oracle ACE
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    BUT PL/SQL IS MY DAMN APPLICATION LAYER!!!
    I always wondered what DAL stood for. Now I know :)

I'm with you on this. I often work in a batch- or job-oriented environment, and PL/SQL is my calling application too.

Cheers, APC
  • 17. Re: commit in procedures
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    APC wrote:
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    BUT PL/SQL IS MY DAMN APPLICATION LAYER!!!
    I always wondered what DAL stood for. Now I know :)
    I wanted to wrote FAL - but thought that may be too strongly worded. :-)
    I'm with you on this. I often work in a batch- or job-oriented environment, and PL/SQL is my calling application too.
    I'm very passionate about using PL/SQL. And want to see the language get better (and get more functionality that Ada provides). So it cheeses me off to no end, when PL/SQL usage wants to be hamstrung by for exampling limiting commits.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points