This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 7:52 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

How to remove old rman backups from tape

953987 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I had database running on server xxxx with version 10.2.0.3. Recently I have migrated the DB to server YYYY and upgraded the DB to 11.2.0.1.

We were taking RMAN backup to the tape directly. Now I want to remove the old backups of database (10.2.0.3 and server XXXX) from tape . As I have upgraded DB and server, I could not do with delete obsolete from the current RMAN client.

Please help to fix.

Thanks,
Asm
  • 1. Re: How to remove old rman backups from tape
    User477708-OC Journeyer
    open a tape channel, catalog the backups, it should pick them up even if it cant use them, delete obsolete then.

Alternatively, interact with the tape manually through tape software, should be option to delete.
  • 2. Re: How to remove old rman backups from tape
    KR10822864 Pro
    950984 wrote:
    Hi All,

I had database running on server xxxx with version 10.2.0.3. Recently I have migrated the DB to server YYYY and upgraded the DB to 11.2.0.1.

We were taking RMAN backup to the tape directly. Now I want to remove the old backups of database (10.2.0.3 and server XXXX) from tape . As I have upgraded DB and server, I could not do with delete obsolete from the current RMAN client.
    what type tape your using?is it overwrite protected? is it overwrite protection period defined?
  • 3. Re: How to remove old rman backups from tape
    L-MachineGun Pro
    950984 wrote:

. . . E t c . . .

.... Now I want to remove the old backups of database (10.2.0.3 and server XXXX) from tape . As I have upgraded DB and server, I could not do with delete obsolete from the current RMAN client.
    What error do you get?
    You may need to install the tape client on your new server because the "DELETE" command will actually modify the tape catalog in order to release the tapes.
    A quick alternative would be to "UNREGISTER/REGISTER" the database then "RESYNC CATALOG". This may fix the rman catalog, but you may need to manually remove the backups from the tape catalog.
    Good luck!
    :p
  • 4. Re: How to remove old rman backups from tape
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    950984 wrote:
    Hi All,

Upgrade the RMAN Catalog from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.1 and use RMAN Client 11.2.0.1 to remove all backups from 10.2 manually (using RMAN > DELETE BACKUP...) or automatically (using RMAN> DELETE OBSOLETE)
  • 5. Re: How to remove old rman backups from tape
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Presumably you still have the 10.2.0.3 binaries and, at least, the controlfile for the database on server xxxx.

You can STARTUP MOUNT the old database and issue DELETEs from there.

But why do you want to delete your 10.2.0.3 backups in such a hurry ? Doesn't management require you to retain the backups ? Don't auditors require you to retain the backups ?

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points