This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 9:52 AM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6

814832 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
We are supporting one application which is using Java files (.jsp,.xml,.java) of V1.4.2.
Now we have a new request to upgrade the existing application from V1.4.2 to V1.6.

Could you please let me know:
(1) Will there be any change in code when migrating from one version to other version?
(2) Is Java V1.6 supportable in Window Server 2008 R2?
(3) Is Java V1.6 supportable in RHEL 5.3?
(4) Any upgrade approach document?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: 811829 on Apr 22, 2013 4:35 AM
  • 1. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    gimbal2 Guru
    811829 wrote:
    Hi all,
    We are supporting one application which is using Java files (.jsp,.xml,.java) of V1.4.2.
    Now we have a new request to upgrade the existing application from V1.4.2 to V1.6.

Could you please let me know:
    (1) Will there be any change in code when migrating from one version to other version?
    Maybe. If your code uses the newly reserved keyword 'enum' then you will have to make some changes. You'll figure that out quite quickly and the fix is as simple as using an IDE to do some rename actions. Other than that it depends on how much you leave as defaults; if you employ very specific configuration switches then it shouldn't change much. Newer JVMs do change their default settings however (for example: which garbage collector is used) so you may see some changes in behavior because of that. But then again: maybe not.
    Check the download page. Is there a download for the CPU architecture of your server? If not - well there is no secret download page.
    (3) Is Java V1.6 supportable in RHEL 5.3?
    You'd have to ask RedHat. Java can be installed on any flavor of Linux though; either "official" or OpenJDK. But you will want to install what RedHat recommends you to install, using their own software management solutions.
    No. Upgrade steps also depend on what software you are running. The steps are going to be very different and more complicated when you're running a JavaEE enterprise application server for example, and then you'd need to look for a guide from that server's vendor.
  • 2. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    814832 Newbie
    Hi Gimbal,
    Thanks for the update.

Could you share me steps for installation document of
    Java 1.6
    JBoss 5.0.1
    Regards,
    Swathi.
  • 3. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    gimbal2 Guru
    Perhaps I can, but I won't. This is not your personal information service, you are free to google for the stuff yourself.
  • 4. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    814832 Newbie
    Hi,
    OS-Windows 2003
    Java- V1.4.2
    WebSphere

Could you please let me know how can we come to know whether we have used JNDI concept in the Java code?

Regards,
    Swathi.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    939520 Explorer
    I agree with the previous posts. You need to research any issues that come up as they occur. I suggest you be sure that you are able to compile and deploy the application before you change the version of Java. Then, recompile/deploy it with the new version of Java. You're IDE will probably do a good job on telling you what the problems are. Fix all errors first. Then, you can look at resolving any depreciated warnings the IDE provides (although you don't absolutely have to fix them, it's still a good idea to do so).
  • 6. Re: Upgrade Java from V1.4.2 to V1.6
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    811829 wrote:
    That seems like a really bad idea to me.
    Given that you are upgrading then you should upgrade to 1.7 because it is really likely that 1.6 will start the end of life cycle this year. So you are using an unsupported version now and you would be upgrading to a version that will become unsupported a small time window (certainly less than with the window between 1.4 and 1.6.)
    Rather simple actually
    - Build it
    - Do a full regression test
    - Do a full QA test
    - Provide for a rollback strategy when applying it to production.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points