This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 7:34 AM by myluism RSS

Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT

myluism Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all.

I'm using Forms / Reports 11g Rel2 on a Windows box.

According to documentation, COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT, can be used to "copy the output of a report from a remote machine".

From this, i understand i can generate a report to, for example, DESTYPE=CACHE, DESNAME=filename.pdf and desformat=pdf, and once the report is finished, the report will be copied to a specific destination (file on the client machine).

For example:

COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT(v_report_id,'c:\mylocaldir\file.pdf');

Is this correct or no?.

Best regards, Luis ...:)
  • 1. Re: Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT
    InoL Guru
    file on the client machine
    I've never used this procedure, but I doubt that you can use it to copy a file to the client PC. It is very unlikely that this server process has access to a client PC.
    It's probably better to use webutil_file_transfer.as_to_client.
  • 2. Re: Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT
    myluism Newbie
    I agree....!

I'll test and report results back to this thread.

Regards, Luis ...:)
  • 3. Re: Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT
    CraigB Guru
    From this, i understand i can generate a report to, for example, DESTYPE=CACHE, DESNAME=filename.pdf and desformat=pdf, and once the report is finished, the report will be copied to a specific destination (file on the client machine).
    You didn't specifically state it, so I have to ask...did you run the report first using the RUN_REPORT_OBJECT built-in? The COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT built-in will not run the report for you, you must have run it and have the Report_ID returned by the RUN_REPORT_OBJECT built-in first before you can use the COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT built-in to copy the report file to the client.

Craig...
  • 4. Re: Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT
    myluism Newbie
    Hi.

Yes, i'm aware i have to use RUN_REPORT_OBJECT first. My question is simple: I believe the COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT will copy the report output to a file on the Apps Server. I'm not sure yet, will test as soon as i can get my hand on this.

To make it simpler: if a report is CACHE and sent to a file, the COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT will copy on the Apps server and i'll need WEBUTIL transfer facilities, or i must use DESTYPE=LOCALFILE instead.

I hope thing are clearer now.

Regards, Luis....:)
  • 5. Re: Question about COPY_REPORT_OBJECT_OUTPUT
    myluism Newbie
    One have to use a combination of destype=FILE, copy_report_object_output and finally webutil_util_transfer.as_to_client or webutil_util_transfer.as_to_client_with_progress.

LOCALFILE destype is not supported by run_report_object, so FILE must be used.

Done ....!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points