This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 10:01 PM by MahirM.Quluzade RSS

RMAN templates

sam995972 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

oracle 11g
linux

am not intrested to create any cron jobs on my db host to take backups.am planning to impliment RMAN templates, but dont have any idea of implimentation.
can anyone has any idea of RMAN templates creation.if has plz suggest how to create?

thanks,
Sam.
  • 1. Re: RMAN templates
    KR10822864 Pro
    sam995972 wrote:
    Hi,

oracle 11g
    linux

am not intrested to create any cron jobs on my db host to take backups.am planning to impliment RMAN templates, but dont have any idea of implimentation.
    can anyone has any idea of RMAN templates creation.if has plz suggest how to create?

thanks,
    Sam.
    its a good idea :) . which net-backup tool your org is using? check with net-backup admin.

links:
    www.symantec.com
  • 2. Re: RMAN templates
    EdStevens Guru
    sam995972 wrote:
    Hi,

oracle 11g
    linux

am not intrested to create any cron jobs on my db host to take backups.
    Why not?
    am planning to impliment RMAN templates, but dont have any idea of implimentation.
    What do you mean by 'RMAN templates'? I don't find that term in the documentation.

What do you envision this 'template' to be? How do you envision using it?

>
    thanks,
    Sam.
  • 3. Re: RMAN templates
    P.Forstmann Guru
    If you use OEM (Database Control or Grid Control), you can use "Oracle Suggested Backups" without writing any script and without using crontab:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/backrest.htm#i1006298.
  • 4. Re: RMAN templates
    sam995972 Newbie
    thanks to all for reply.
    which net-backup tool your org is using? check with net-backup admin.
    symantic
  • 5. Re: RMAN templates
    KR10822864 Pro
    sam995972 wrote:
    thanks to all for reply.
    which net-backup tool your org is using? check with net-backup admin.
    symantic
    general steps for oracle RMAN templates creation.

1:Oracle backups are performed using RMAN via the (veritas or sysmantic)NetBackup integration component for Oracle.
    2:NetBackup requires access to a SYSDBA privileged account for each database instance at the client. This will need to be created.
    3:If OS level authentication is used, a system account with SYSDBA privilege must be supplied.
    4:If Oracle authentication is used, a suitably configured Oracle user with SYSDBA privilege must be supplied.
    5:For online RMAN backups, the database must be in archive log mode.
    6:Prior to performing snapshot backup, an appropriate version of the Net Backup Client software has to be installed on host.
    7: Execute oracle_link which is defined in admin guide please check.
    cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/
    ls –lrt libobk.so
    ln -s libobk.so $ORACLE_HOME/bin/libobk.so
    8:check Initialization parameters shared pool,largepool sizes configure min as oracle recommended.
    9:connect rman target ,configure controlfile autobackup , recovery window
    10 check password file
    11:check netbackup client installtion and then Load NetBackup Java GUI from os command line(as oracle user)
    # cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
    # ./jbpSA &
    Note:xterm package must be installed on target host(to avoide GUI errors)
    12:then fallow the steps based on your requirements at the last step ie On the Template Summary screen, review the summary information to verify it is correct.
    Check the Save Template box and enter a template name as per your requirements
    (it is easy and interactive ) (test it on test box 1st then prod)

http://www.google.co.in/#sclient=psy-ab&q=veritas+netbackup+guide+for+rman+templates&oq=veritas+netbackup+guide+for+rman+templates&gs_l=serp.3...13380.23986.1.24225.19.19.0.0.0.0.396.5492.2-7j11.18.0...0.0...1c.1.11.serp.Zn7LdvsiUpg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=cc7b12288897f733&biw=1366&bih=667
  • 6. Re: RMAN templates
    KR10822864 Pro
    please check below link for more info

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136157
  • 7. Re: RMAN templates
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi Sam!
    sam995972 wrote:
    Hi,

oracle 11g
    linux

I think you can use RMAN Catalog. Catalog store RMAN Scripts. and registered all databases can use this scripts.
    and there haven't "RMAN template" terminology but you can use RMAN Scripts as template.

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points