4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 3:23 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

Encountered SQL Developer Error 'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is missing

user702726
      Hello,

Thanks for looking at this entry

I have an older version of SQL developer and it suddenly won't run with the following error

'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program.........'

And it is indeed missing. So, rather than download what might be a virus from the internet (new version of MSVCR71.dll ), I tried to do a new install of SQL developer from:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

I put it on my D drive, unzipped and tried to launch.

It asked where I had java.exe (full path name). I found it at C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

Now I encounter: Cannot find J2SE SDK installed at path C:\Windows\System32\java.exe

Please help

Regards
      Bill
        • 1. Re: Encountered SQL Developer Error 'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is missing
          Irian
          I'm almost 100% sure you got the wrong JDK, C:\Windows\System32\ seems to be an odd place for a JDK to live.

Try looking in
          C:\Program Files\Java
          or
          C:\Program Files (x86)\Java
          and you should find a folder named jdk1.6.0_XX

set your java.exe path to the java.exe you find in the bin directory.

If you want to avoid confusion you could download the SQLDeveloper version with the JDK already included (only 32 bits is available ATM), in this case there is no need to set a path to the java.exe.
          • 2. Re: Encountered SQL Developer Error 'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is mis
            David Last-Oracle
            There should be a copy of MSVCR71.dll within any Java 1.6 jdk.

This error sometimes occurs if it is not available for loading, e.g. it is not in a folder on the Path.
            You can ensure that it can be loaded in one of the following ways:

1 copying MSVCR71.dll to your sqldeveloper\bin folder
            2 copying MSVCR71.dll to your Windows/System32 folder
            3 adding $JAVA_HOME to $PATH

Alternatively, as Irian suggested, you can download and install the version that includes the jdk.

David
            • 3. Re: Encountered SQL Developer Error 'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is missing
              user702726
              Hello,

i HAve more background.

Although MSVCR71.dll was missing before I tried to upgrade, upgraded to Java 1.7 using the executables found in mydesktop.oraclecorp.com. The missing dll triggered my upgrade to Java 1.7

And now, if I search my computer, I cannot find the dll. Please send me another as I do not want to download one from the internet

Regards
              Bill
              • 4. Re: Encountered SQL Developer Error 'Can't Start because MSVCR71.dll is missing
                Gary Graham-Oracle
                Hi,

The 32-bit and 64-bit Java 7 JDKs include only msvcr100.dll, 32-bit Java 6 includes only msvcr71.dll, and 64-bit Java 6 has neither!

Also, keep in mind that Java 7 is not certified yet for ANY* version of SQL Developer. The standard recommendation is to install the latest update in the Java 6 JDK code line (currently 1.6.0_45) and use that. Make sure to get the 32-bit version!

Regards,
                Gary

Edited by: Gary Graham on Apr 24, 2013 1:15 PM
                Corrected which Java downloads actually contain the msvcr71 and msvcr100 DLL versions. Sorry for messing it up the first time!