This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 10:59 AM by Denes Kubicek RSS

Apex 4.2: Is a common - global - sidebar possible?

emma-apex Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I have a number of pages containing charts and gantts. I want the user to be able to filter the data shown in these various charts. More than that, I want the user's filters to persist between pages. So, if they select "Key project = 'Y'" on the gantt page, the gantt will filter - and if they then navigate to a report (bar chart) page, that will also be filtered for Key projects only.

To make this happen, I plan to have an identical sidebar on all these pages. This will contain maybe 8 dropdowns and tickboxes allowing the user to create or remove these filters. Eventually some users might save preferences for certain choices within these dropdowns.

Since the sidebar will almost always be identical from page to page, the smartest approach would seem to be to create one sidebar (as html region) and access that sidebar from all pages rather than copying the code from page to page. Then I thought I'd create application-level items in order to create global variables for each of the dropdowns.

My question is: is this approach possible? And can I create a "global" region in Page 0 and then access it from other pages? (This is how I thought it would work but I have tried and can't see how to do it.)

It's fine if it's not possible - I can just copy the region. I'd just like to know!

Thanks
Emma

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points