4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 10:06 AM by davejjj RSS

Win7 11g  -- Environment variables not set?

davejjj
      I have an 11g installation on a school harddrive that doesn't seem to have any of the environment variables set properly. Even ORACLE_HOME is not set. How can I fix that situation and how many environment variables need to be defined?

Also some of the Oracle scripts seem to use the forward-slash rather than the back-slash for paths. Will Win7 care?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Win7 11g  -- Environment variables not set?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Posting the exact OS and database versions is always helpful.

You might want to read up on this - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/win.112/e10845/toc.htm - particularly Chapter 15

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Win7 11g  -- Environment variables not set?
            cherrydba
            >
            I have an 11g installation on a school harddrive that doesn't seem to have any of the environment variables set properly. Even ORACLE_HOME is not set. How can I fix that situation and how many environment variables need to be defined?
            >
            You can set the following 3 basic environment variable in your system variables list. So that you can connect to database with out manually specifying the variables every time.
            ORACLE_HOME: the ORACLE_HOME variable should be set.
            ORACLE_SID: it is the name of the instance.
            PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin : this is the place where your oracle binaries exists.

>
            Also some of the Oracle scripts seem to use the forward-slash rather than the back-slash for paths. Will Win7 care?
            >
            Windows server uses back-slash
            Unix flavours use forward-slash
            • 3. Re: Win7 11g  -- Environment variables not set?
              EdStevens
              davejjj wrote:

Thanks
              What do you mean by "on a school harddrive"? If you have installed oracle on to some drive, you can't just plug that drive into some other computer. Especially if it's Windows. Part of the oracle installation involves a tree in the registry, and in windows it's those registry entries that are the first source of environment variable settings.
              • 4. Re: Win7 11g  -- Environment variables not set?
                davejjj
                It's the boot drive. They use slide-in removable drives.