This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 8:22 AM by user8058501 RSS

Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener

user8058501 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

The facts:

1) Using the EPG on port 8081:

- I am able to connect to APEX either as administrator or application user; everything is fine.

2) Using the Stand-alone APEX Listener oon port 7777:

- The user that owns and runs the APEX listener uses JDK 7.

- During the configuration, I am asked the following:
Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:
I entered the full path of the directory where the image are located on the database from which I wish to use APEX, which is for me:
$ORACLE_HOME/apex/images

- port 7777 is free (as well as 8081, they are both dedicated for HTTP APEX urls).

- When I access the url:
http://<my server where APEX runs>:7777/apex

I get a page with an incomplete layout (no colors, no borders) than when I use EPG.
When I try to log in (user/password) the page "does not react"?

Does someone has a similar experience?
What is wrong in that configuration?

Thanks and Regards.
  • 1. Re: Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    TimSt.H. Explorer
    When using the listener, the path is not the database path, but a path on the file system that is running the listener. It is asking for the path of the \images\ directory where the installation files have been extracted to. Because the listener is starting a mini web server, it will serve up the files directly from the file system without the database EPG image store.

I am not completely sure, but he JAVA environment which the web server runs in my not like the OS substitution variable in your path.

$ORACLE_HOME/apex/images
    You may want to try it with the full path described to see if your results are better.
    Also - you can try relative path from the listener starting location.

You can re-configure the images location by re-running the configuration command. Change it to the location of those files. The actual location can be adjusted as you see fit.

Example: - Copy the images folder from the APEX installation .zip to location of my choosing.

c:\my_web_dependencies\apex\images

--Tim St.

Edited by: Tim St. H. on Apr 29, 2013 7:29 AM
  • 2. Re: Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    Udo Guru
    Hi,

probably the contents of the images directory you are referencing with your APEX Listener doesn't correspond to the APEX version of the instance you are trying to access.
    To check, please run the following query with a privileged user
    SELECT version
      FROM dba_registry
     WHERE comp_id = 'APEX'
       AND status = 'VALID';
    and get the contents of the following file via APEX Listener
    http://<your APEX Listener host>:7777/i/apex_version.txt

If my guess is right, you'll get different version information. If that's the case, download the APEX installation package that corresponds to the actual APEX version in your target database and copy the contents of the "images" folder contained in that package into a directory that is readable for APEX Listener. Reference that directory from APEX Listener for the static contents ("images").
    If that's not the reason, could it be your APEX instance uses some images prefix different from the default +/i/+ ? In that case, APEX Listener in Standalone Mode will need some additional component to do the images hosting/url rewriting...

-Udo

-Udo

Edited by: Udo on 29.04.2013 14:22
    corrected URL for images
  • 3. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    It still does not work.

Both the database server and APEX listener run on the same server.
    But they are both installed under a different OS user.

1) In the Home Directory where I have downloaded and unzipped the APEX Listener software, I copied the whole directory of the images from APEX, and the APEX Listener user is now owner of this directory.
    2) I have cleaned up the configuration for the APEX Listener
    3) I have restarted/re-launched the APEX Listener

Yet, I get the same page layout.

Any idea what can be wrong?

Kind Regards.
  • 4. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    1) From the above query, here is the version I have in the database server:

VERSION
    ------------------------------

2) I tried to check the version of the APEX Listener:

http://<my server where APEX runs>:7777/apex/i/apex_version.txt

With that last URL, I get the error: 503 - Service Unavailable.

Both the APEX Listener and the database containing APEX run on the same server.
    APEX has been installed in the database with the default /i/ option.

Any other idea?

Kind Regards.
  • 5. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    Udo Guru
    http://<my server where APEX runs>:7777/apex/i/apex_version.txt
    Sorry, I forgot to remove +/apex/+ from that URL. I corrected the URL in the post above. Please try again...

-Udo
  • 6. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    1) I don't understand what should be the url to perform that check?:

http://<server where APEX Listener runs>:7777/i/apex_version.txt

or:

http://<server where APEX Listener runs>:7777/apex/i/apex_version.txt

2) Should the images directory on which the configuration points to (Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:) be owned by the OS owner of the APEX Listener or the OS owner of the APEX images in the database?

Any other idea?

Kind Regards.
  • 7. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    Udo Guru
    1) I don't understand what should be the url to perform that check?:
    Sorry again for not pointing clear enough. The target URL is
    2) Should the images directory on which the configuration points to (Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:) be owned by the OS owner of the APEX Listener or the OS owner of the APEX images in the database?
    The ownership doesn't matter as long as the OS account you use to execute APEX Listener is able to read it. This can also be achieved by group rights (e. g. dba or oracle as group), or by granting global read access to these files.
    the OS owner of the APEX images in the database?
    Just to make that clear: EPG uses files stored in a virtual file system inside the database (XML DB). There is (usually) no direct relation to any OS users (other than the fact that the data files of your Oracle Database are probably stored on a file system as well).

-Udo
  • 8. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    Ok, this is clear now for what concerns the file system and permissions.
    Using the above url, I get the error: 404 - Page Not Found (but the colors look more like APEX 4.x version that have in the database).

Any other idea, suggestion?

Kind Regards.
  • 9. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    Udo Guru
    Using the above url, I get the error: 404 - Page Not Found (but the colors look more like APEX 4.x version that have in the database).
    The HTML-pages are generated by APEX (inside the database), just the static part is hosted from the "images". Since these "images" also contain included js-files and some css classes needed, your login form doesn't show up and work as expected when they can't be requested by your browser.
    Probably the directory you've entered during APEX Listener configuration is either not correct or not readable for APEX Listener. As mentioned by Tim above, you should enter the absolute path without using environment variables.

Do you see any errors in APEX Listeners console output that could provide any hints?

-Udo
  • 10. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    I will come back here tomorrow :-)
  • 11. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    1) I have restarted from scratch.

This time the APEX listener will be installed as oracle user, thus the same user that owns the database installation.
    Both the database and the APEX listener will run on the same server.

- I have installed JDK 7
    - I have unzipped the APEX Listener software
    - port 7777 (which is free) is the port on which I want the APEX Listener listens to
    - APEX_PUBLIC_USER is unlocked an has a valid password (I can log onto)
    - There is no user like APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER, and APEX_LISTENER)

- For the database, I have:
    SELECT version
    FROM dba_registry
    WHERE comp_id = 'APEX'
    AND status = 'VALID';

VERSION
    ------------------------------

2) As oracle OS user, I start the APEX Listener as:

/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_21/bin/java -Dapex.home=/u02/oracle/apex/listener/apex-listener-config -jar /u02/oracle/apex/listener/apex.war

During that phase, I am prompted to enter several parameters as:
    "Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:"

For this one I entered the full location of the APEX images on the server, which is for me:
    /u01/oracle/base/rdbms/product/1120/apex/images
    ($ORACLE_HOME/apex/images)

Where:
    - /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_21 is the JDK 7 Home location
    - /u02/oracle/apex/listener is the location where APEX Listener has been downloaded and unzipped
    - /u02/oracle/apex/listener/apex-listener-config is the directory (I have created) to store the configuration files (for easy clean up if necessary)

With the displayed info:
    Using JDBC driver: Oracle JDBC driver version: 11.2.0.3.0
    Apr 30, 2013 8:32:31 AM oracle.dbtools.rt.web.SCListener contextInitialized
    INFO: Oracle Application Express Listener initialized
    Application Express Listener version : 2.0.1.64.14.26
    Application Express Listener server info: Grizzly/1.9.49

Apr 30, 2013 8:32:31 AM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
    INFO: GRIZZLY0001: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.49 - 4/30/13 8:32 AM
    Apr 30, 2013 8:32:31 AM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute
    INFO: http://localhost:7777/apex started.

3) After running the above command, there is no error nor warning; it just displays information reqgarding the configuration.

Through my browswer, I run the url: http://<IP address of the server when APEX Listener and DB are runniing in>:7777/apex

I get an APEX page, but some icons are missing, colors are missing, and when I try to log in, the page "does not react". The same issue than at the beginning.

Any other idea where I could investigate further?

Thanks by advance.

Kind Regards.
  • 12. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    TimSt.H. Explorer
    If you received the login page or URL with a session - even a partial - you have connected to the DB server.

Run the image version test Udo suggested. That will help determine the problem.

This should match your APEX version.
    Most likely you are pointing to a images library set for a different version.

--Tim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 13. Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    user8058501 Newbie
    When I run http://<server where the APEX listener runs>:7777/i/apex_version.txt
    I get the error:

404 - Not Found
    We're sorry, the page you requested was not found.

In this situation I see the blue/red colors that makes part of the APEX GUI interface.

If I run http://<server where the APEX listener run>:7777/apex
    I get a login page (as said above) with missing logos and colors, and when I enter login credentials the page "does not react"?

Could this have something to do with classpath? I have no set this global parameter?...

Any other idea?

Kind Regards.
  • 14. Re: Re-Unable to get the correct page layout with standalone APEX Listener
    TimSt.H. Explorer
    One thought for you.... Did you install APEX into the database using a download, or are you using the one that comes seeded with it?
    I believe we will find that you installed the new version, but are pointing to the images directory that CAME with the database.

Your path: /u01/oracle/base/rdbms/product/1120/apex/images <- This needs to be the images directory that came with the version of apex you installed. You either need to replace this with the new one, or (preferable) change your listener config to point to a directory where the current version of the "apex images" are located.

To Confirm:
    In the /u01/oracle/base/rdbms/product/1120/apex directory - you should see a file called apxconf.sql. If you CAT that file, you might find a statement that says:
    alter session set current_schema = APEX_030200;

That would indicate you have the images for APEX 3.2.

** Find your current v4 APEX Images and point your listener config to it.

--Tim St.
    enkitec
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points