This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 4:24 AM by 1006074 RSS

Generic exception handler for all scenarios

800839 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I want to build a generic exception handler which can be reused in any java j2ee applications. I have java application which is communicating with other 3rd party applications like webservices, webmethods , etc from where we are getting an errorcode which will be used in our java application to do a lookup to get the respestive error message from the resource bundle. Please clarify in such case how I can go with a generic exception handler which will be build separately and will be integrated with Java applications to handle the exceptions and errors.

Please clarify.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    797836 wrote:
    Hi,

I want to build a generic exception handler which can be reused in any java j2ee applications.
    Unlikely. Probably impossible.
    I have java application which is communicating with other 3rd party applications like webservices, webmethods , etc from where we are getting an errorcode which will be used in our java application to do a lookup to get the respestive error message from the resource bundle. Please clarify in such case how I can go with a generic exception handler which will be build separately and will be integrated with Java applications to handle the exceptions and errors.
    An excellent example of why a universal exception handler wouldn't work.

At some point a call tree looks like A->B->C, where C (or beyond) that is where your communications problem occurs. The impact of that depends on the application.

For example if a user types in a url (at A) and the server (C) fails to resolve it then that is a user problem.
    However if nightly batch process expects to download an update file every night from one location and it can't connect then that is an operations error (or notification/alert.)
  • 2. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
    EJP Guru
    I've invented a universal solvent ... But I've got nothing to put it in.
  • 3. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
    1006074 Newbie
    Maybe you need framework for AOP. Try to use AspectJ for example. It can wrap your business methods in common try-catch or logging code.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points