3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 6:24 AM by 1006074 RSS

Generic exception handler for all scenarios

Hi,

I want to build a generic exception handler which can be reused in any java j2ee applications. I have java application which is communicating with other 3rd party applications like webservices, webmethods , etc from where we are getting an errorcode which will be used in our java application to do a lookup to get the respestive error message from the resource bundle. Please clarify in such case how I can go with a generic exception handler which will be build separately and will be integrated with Java applications to handle the exceptions and errors.

Please clarify.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
          jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
          797836 wrote:
          Hi,

I want to build a generic exception handler which can be reused in any java j2ee applications.
          Unlikely. Probably impossible.
          I have java application which is communicating with other 3rd party applications like webservices, webmethods , etc from where we are getting an errorcode which will be used in our java application to do a lookup to get the respestive error message from the resource bundle. Please clarify in such case how I can go with a generic exception handler which will be build separately and will be integrated with Java applications to handle the exceptions and errors.
          An excellent example of why a universal exception handler wouldn't work.

At some point a call tree looks like A->B->C, where C (or beyond) that is where your communications problem occurs. The impact of that depends on the application.

For example if a user types in a url (at A) and the server (C) fails to resolve it then that is a user problem.
          However if nightly batch process expects to download an update file every night from one location and it can't connect then that is an operations error (or notification/alert.)
          • 2. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
            EJP
            I've invented a universal solvent ... But I've got nothing to put it in.
            • 3. Re: Generic exception handler for all scenarios
              Maybe you need framework for AOP. Try to use AspectJ for example. It can wrap your business methods in common try-catch or logging code.