delete thread

dear moderator,

could you please delete following threads,

left join
      date format
      not able to see output
        • 1. Re: delete thread
          rukbat
          With a very superficial speed-read, I don't see a reason to remove them.

I locked them to permit others to examine them.
          Other moderators can take care of them if they see anything wrong with the thread content.
          • 2. Re: delete thread
            Barbara Boehmer
            It looks like 1000228 is asking to have his own questions removed, without stating why.
            • 3. Re: delete thread
              rukbat
              Barbara Boehmer wrote:
              It looks like 1000228 is asking to have his own questions removed, without stating why.
              That seems to occasionally happen in these forums.

{opinion}
              That denies anyone in the future from learning anything from that O.P.'s perspective on a topic, regardless whether it is a correct perspective or an incorrect perspective.
              {opinion}

{opinion #2}
              The O.P. could misunderstand what forums are all about and not realize that once they've posted something that is on a publicly viewable site they have yielded all title to what they placed here as per the OTN Terms Of Use .
              {opinion #2}
              • 4. Re: delete thread
                Barbara Boehmer
                As a moderator on the OraFAQ forums, I see a few requests for such deletions there also, for various reasons. Some people mistakenly post full proprietary code and/or data, instead of a simplified example and find that they should not have done so, and want it deleted to avoid problems at work. Some people want to erase evidence that they got someone else to do their homework for them. Some people just seem to be unclear on the concepts of forums. We generally don't delete and have that as part of our forum guidelines. Occasionally, we will obscure proprietary code or data on request, but we do not delete the whole post or thread. We also point out to people that, even if we delete or modify something, it may have been captured by things like the wayback machine. So, anything posted on the internet may became permanently available for public viewing.
                • 5. Re: delete thread
                  BluShadow
                  Barbara Boehmer wrote:
                  As a moderator on the OraFAQ forums, I see a few requests for such deletions there also, for various reasons. Some people mistakenly post full proprietary code and/or data, instead of a simplified example and find that they should not have done so, and want it deleted to avoid problems at work.
                  In which case they can simply edit their post and replace it, as long as others haven't duplicated the code in their posts (in which case a moderator would be needed)
                  Some people want to erase evidence that they got someone else to do their homework for them.
                  In which case the thread should be locked and they should be exposed for the cheats they are.
                  Some people just seem to be unclear on the concepts of forums.
                  It's not complex. Public forum = public posts, recorded on the internet forevermore (or therabouts). Not just a concept of forums, but a concept of the internet.
                  We generally don't delete and have that as part of our forum guidelines.
                  Good practice IMO, otherwise we get too many requests from people who have just 'changed their mind'.
                  Occasionally, we will obscure proprietary code or data on request, but we do not delete the whole post or thread. We also point out to people that, even if we delete or modify something, it may have been captured by things like the wayback machine. So, anything posted on the internet may became permanently available for public viewing.
                  Indeed, genuine requests are acceptable and can be actioned, but as you say, wayback machine, search engine caches etc... we cannot do anything about. That's the technology age for you. As a general rule of thumb, if you don't want something to remain in the public domain, don't post it in the first place. ;)
                  • 6. Re: delete thread
                    Barbara Boehmer
                    BluShadow wrote:
                    Barbara Boehmer wrote:
                    As a moderator on the OraFAQ forums, I see a few requests for such deletions there also, for various reasons. Some people mistakenly post full proprietary code and/or data, instead of a simplified example and find that they should not have done so, and want it deleted to avoid problems at work.
                    In which case they can simply edit their post and replace it, as long as others haven't duplicated the code in their posts (in which case a moderator would be needed)
                    In both forums, once someone has posted a reply to your post, you can no longer edit it, unless you have moderator privileges, which is as it should be.
                    • 7. Re: delete thread
                      rukbat
                      >
                      ... snip ...
                      >
                      In both forums, once someone has posted a reply to your post, you can no longer edit it, unless you have moderator privileges, which is as it should be.
                      But that isn't how the current soon-to-be-replaced ancient version of the OTN forum software is set up.
                      That is why I locked the referenced threads.
                      Currently, everyone can always edit their own postings ad infinitum unless a thread is locked.
                      • 8. Re: delete thread
                        Barbara Boehmer
                        rukbat wrote:
                        >
                        ... snip ...
                        But that isn't how the current soon-to-be-replaced ancient version of the OTN forum software is set up.
                        That is why I locked the referenced threads.
                        Currently, everyone can always edit their own postings ad infinitum unless a thread is locked.
                        Oops, you're right. I think I didn't see the edit button because I wasn't logged in at the time, so I incorrectly assumed that option was not available.