This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 4:54 PM by 684553 RSS

Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF

user56466 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I got problem with migration OFA structure (6.3.4) to Oracle OLAP. My Oracle Database is 11.2 Enterprise Edition
1. I've exported OFA database do eif file.
2. I've created user in Oracle database, grant olap_user and created directory
3. I installed Analytic Workspace Manager 11.2.0.3.0A
4. After connection on Analytic Workspaces I run 'Create Analytic Workspace from EIF file ...' -> The import was succeeded

Here is the problem - there is no visible imported structure in the tree under Analytic Workspaces. I think that structures were properly imported. That Analytic Workspace is in the sql results:
select dbal.owner||'.'||substr(dbal.table_name,4) awname, sum(dbas.bytes)/1024/1024 as mb, dbas.tablespace_name from dba_lobs dbal, dba_segments dbas where dbal.column_name = 'AWLOB' and dbal.segment_name = dbas.segment_name group by dbal.owner, dbal.table_name, dbas.tablespace_name order by dbal.owner, dbal.table_name

I've also tried using Analytic Workspace Manager Worksheet.
AW CREATE OFA_TEST
IMPORT ALL FROM EIF FILE 'c/baza.eif' DATA DFNS
UPDATE
COMMIT
The results are the same :(

What else should be done ? can anyone pls help me on this??
Grzegorz
  • 1. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    DavidGreenfield Expert
    AWM will only show analytic workspaces that contain 11g standard form metadata, and the old OFA EIF file does not have this. To see the AW you should try changing the 'Cube Type' to be '10g' in the connection dialog (where you enter user name and password).
  • 2. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    user56466 Newbie
    Hello,
    Thank you for your answer. I tried again with option '10g' in connection dialog.
    Unfortunately, it is the same result. As I read I have to see that analytic workspace in AWM tree. Next I will have to ‘Transform Analytic Workspace to Standard Form’ command (available from a pop-up menu). I need query the AW using the OLAP API.
    Have any idea ? Is it any possibility to do that 'Transform Analytic Workspace to Standard Form' in differeny way ?
    Regards,
    Grzegorz
  • 3. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    user56466 Newbie
    Hello,
    I've tried do it in Oracle Database version 10.2. It is better. I can see Analytic Workspace (dimensions, Variables, Relation .....) created from eif file in Analytic Workspace Manager. I've run Transform Analytic Workspace to Standard Form’ command from popup menu, but I still can't see that structures in Excel OracleBI Add-inn ?
    Can anyone pls help me on this??

Regards
    Grzegorz
  • 4. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    684553 Newbie
    Grzegorz,

OFA to OLAP is not an easy thing if you are trying to do it by hand. That is why we built an OFA conversion utility into our product. Example time for Full OFA to OLAP/Escendo conversion is about three days for an OFA system of 300-400Gb, including data, processes (Solves) reports, saved selections etc.)

Part of the problem is that OFA is an application which uses a ton of back end catalogs which drive everything. It also makes very heavy use of saved selections internally which makes straight export and import tough.

The overall process is that all of the visible structures need to be created within OLAP so that they are visible. We support both 'public' (ergo visible, metadata based) objects as well as 'back end' structures which are not visible to the front end. If you need business logic translated over it can get complicated to do by hand as well, since things don't map directly into the way Oracle does things in AWM now, due to some differences between the architectures.

One of the great things about putting your OFA into OLAP is that everything becomes available to any standard SQL reporting application.

Our IDE is a full mulit-developer environment which allows multiple developers to work even within the same AW, for any operation, including creation of dimensions, measures etc. as well as the editing of code in programs & models.

Are you just trying to get the data in? or are you wanting to use the system like you would use OFA?

Karl
  • 5. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    user56466 Newbie
    Hello Karl,
    I've heard and read about Escedo conversion tool. You wrote that structures migrated from Express aren't visible for Excel Add-In. What is that functionality 'Transform to standard form' in Analytic Workspace ? Isn't it for visibility that structures ?

What I want after migration OFA to Oracle OLAP?
    I need import data form Oracle database to OLAP once a month and analyze that data. That my OFA installation is not big and it is very simple development. Functionallity of OracleBi Beans Excel Add-in looks enougth good for me.

I'm suprised that no maesure is available in OracleBI Beans Excel Add-In report wizard. Is it really impossible now after migration from Express and 'Transform to Starndard Form' ?
    Or, is it any other reason ?

Have anybody any idea ?

Regards
    Grzegorz
  • 6. Re: Invisible structure in Analytic Workspace Manager after importing from EIF
    684553 Newbie
    Grzegorz,

sorry I didn't write back - been out and pretty slammed.

Unfortunately it has been way too long since I have looked at the beans - also we don't transform - via AWM or other tool but have a full blown conversion (includes solves, reports etc...) that even does a ton of diagnostics and analysis on saved selectons - (lots can go wrong in OFA saved selections). But with pretty basic metadata we've seen reports built in BO or other std sql tools that pick it up and report, drill down etc.

Regards,

Karl

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points