3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 9:07 AM by Achyut K RSS

Without using trigger

Hi,

I have a tale called employee, i am updated some values in employees table,but after someday the values is not available.
      so , i decided to use trigger for before update and after update, but my concern is trigger is affecting for table level performance.
      Is there any other approach to solve this issue.

Kindly do the needful.
        • 1. Re: Without using trigger
          APC
          927851 wrote:
          i am updated some values in employees table,but after someday the values is not available.
          What does this mean? I appreciate English is not your native language but unless you can explain your scenario better we cannot help you.
          so , i decided to use trigger for before update and after update, but my concern is trigger is affecting for table level
          What would you do with a trigger that you couldn't do with an UPDATE statement.

Cheers, APC
          • 2. Re: Without using trigger
            BEDE
            If you wish to avoid using triggers for logging the changes on that table, then the only solution would be not to allow the table to be updated directly, but to have it updated via a stored procedure that also writes to a log table the changes. Still, I'm not sure whether this way you will have better performance. But updating only via stored-procedure will definitely offer facilities for rather complex validations and signaling different inconsistencies by raise_application_error with meaningful messages.
            • 3. Re: Without using trigger
              Achyut K
              927851 wrote:
              Hi,

I have a tale called employee, i am updated some values in employees table,but after someday the values is not available.
              so , i decided to use trigger for before update and after update, but my concern is trigger is affecting for table level performance.
              Is there any other approach to solve this issue.

Kindly do the needful.
              Hi,

Its not clear from your question what you would like to do ? Whether you want to log the changes via trigger for the updated/inserted records in your table. Please elaborate the issue

Regards,
              Achyut K