This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 7:29 AM by matthew_morris RSS

all Oracle product exams on OCA level the same complexity?

Philippe Ludwig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I bought the video training "Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration - Exam 1Z0-821 Course" from VTC. The 1Z0-821 objectives is like a joke and
quite simple.

I am at the moment preparing for OCA DB 11g exams. They are 1000 more complex than the Solaris 11 OCA. Why this difference? Why the same title OCA? Why only one exams vs. two exams?
  • 1. Re: all Oracle product exams on OCA level the same complexity?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Why this difference? Why the same title OCA? Why only one exams vs. two exams?
    Joel Goodman, who is a significant contributor towards Oracle certification exams recently gave a Webinar of his top 5 tips for certification preparation. The tips themselves were so-so, but much of his discussion revolved around the process of test creation, the classes of questions asked and how certain questions were more prevalent on OCA exams vs OCP exams vs OCE. There is a link to the recorded session that was provided to me by OE. I emailed a note to Joel asking if I could make that link public, as I have a post for my OCPrep blog that I am composing where it would fit very well.

If I am given permission to post the video URL, I'll write the blog entry and add the link to it here.
  • 2. Re: all Oracle product exams on OCA level the same complexity?
    Philippe Ludwig Newbie
    If I am given permission to post the video URL, I'll write the blog entry and add the link to it here.
    Please provide a short summary why OCA Solaris 11 is simpler than OCA DB 11g. What are the main arguments? As an Oracle customer I don't like that fact that I worked very hard for OCA DB 11g and the Solaris admin received certificate more or less for free. For the lady in human resources it's the same paper :-)
  • 3. Re: all Oracle product exams on OCA level the same complexity?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Please provide a short summary why OCA Solaris 11 is simpler than OCA DB 11g. What are the main arguments?
    1. Tests are written by human beings. Nothing done by humans is perfect.
    2. Those two were almost assuredly written by two entirely separate groups of people with different ideas of 'hard' and 'easy'.
    3. The difficulty of the exam is set, in part, by the results of the beta exams. Oracle wants the exam to be hard enough to fail x% of the people who take it. The beta-testing population then can alter the passing score of the exam.
    4. There is no such thing as a difficult multiple-choice exam on a subject that you are knowledgeable about. The data you need to answer the question is always right in front of you -- if you have studied the topic, or know it from prior experience.
    I don't like that fact that I worked very hard for OCA DB 11g and the Solaris admin received certificate more or less for free.
    I haven't taken the Solaris Admin OCA. I will say that, having done both, I consider System Administration to be easier than Database administration. Also, while it is certainly possible for a junior system administrator to destroy the OS they are in charge of maintaining, it would be much easier for a junior Oracle DBA to destroy the database they are in charge of. Put another way, the entry requirements are, at least in my opinion, lower.
    For the lady in human resources it's the same paper
    For the DBA performing the interview, it is not.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points