This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 2:15 PM by EdStevens RSS

re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer

Shaon Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
after uninstalling 10g software with home using universal installer how to re-install without deleting all components of database like the database exists i just want to put the oracle software on it and reusing x home location.
  • 1. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post exact version of "10g" (to 4 digits) and the OS version. What prevents you from re-installing the software by following the steps in the Install Guides at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=11 ? Why did you have to uninstall the software in the first place ? Pl note that if you have applied any patches to the previous ORACLE_HOME, you will need to reapply the patches in the same order to the new ORACLE_HOME

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    Shaon Newbie
    oh sorry, oracle 10g database_r2_v3 and win_7 64 bit. no patches haven't been applied.

i am a new comer. so all i want to test is that if some how oracle home's few services deleted or missing and oracle software components is missing than what would be my job. is that re-install the software or any thing else. as far i know all we care about database i mean we backup (control files,log files,datafiles) but oracle services play a crucial role to alive database. i don't know is that a absurd thought please if possible point out clearly.
  • 3. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    By "10g database_r2_v3" do you mean 10.2.0.3 ? Which version of Win 7 ?

The only certified combination is 10.2.0.5 on Win 7 Professional or higher - see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/relnotes.102/b15680/toc.htm#BABEBBJF

Applying the 10.2.0.5 patch (available to customers with paid support contract at https://support.oracle.com) is a requirement.

Is there a reason you cannot use 11gR2 (assuming you have Win 7 Professional or higher) ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    EdStevens Guru
    Tofayel Ahmad wrote:
    oh sorry, oracle 10g database_r2_v3 and win_7 64 bit. no patches haven't been applied.

i am a new comer. so all i want to test is that if some how oracle home's few services deleted or missing and oracle software components is missing than what would be my job. is that re-install the software or any thing else. as far i know all we care about database i mean we backup (control files,log files,datafiles) but oracle services play a crucial role to alive database. i don't know is that a absurd thought please if possible point out clearly.
    Trying to back up the 'services' presents some interesting challenges that don't exist in *nix.  (Just one more reason I avoid Windows every chance I get).  Of course, those services are defined in the registry at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services.  Probably the simplest approach to recovering the oracle binaries and service definitions would be to just plan on cleaning them out of whatever remains after the disaster, and installing fresh.  If the database itself is still intact or recovered, you can re-create the instance service with the oradim utility.  Just thinking out loud, it seems that it might work to just take a daily backup of the ORACLE_HOME directory and the relevant pieces of the registry .. the aforementioned services as well as HKLM\software\oracle.  That would be an interesting test to back those up, blow them away, and see if restoring them from backup would do the trick.

Just thinking out loud. Maybe someone who actually believes in Windows can fill in some blanks.
  • 5. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    Shaon Newbie
    when it about linux then what would be the job.re-installing software in linux or windows like establishing a new database so it's need time but for some missing services or few software components that would be a more costing. if there is a possible action that could restore the missing services in home. i thought it's would be great to startup the database in less time then installing. if i would install the software and using backup data file recover then is it a consistent recovery or inconsistent recovery.so when ever need to recover what should require for consistent recovery so that i can say without this all other type of recovery jobs are inconsistent. i am asking because as far i know i understand that no client would agree to go for inconsistent recovery. as i mentioned i am a new comer i have lot of confusion please if possible give some details.

thanks for your advise in-advance
  • 6. Re: re-install software after uninstall with home using universal installer
    EdStevens Guru
    Tofayel Ahmad wrote:
    when it about linux then what would be the job.re-installing software in linux or windows like establishing a new database
    Regardless of the OS, installing the software is distinct from "establishing" a database. You can install the software without creating a database, but you cannot create a database without having installed the software.
    so it's need time but for some missing services or few software components that would be a more costing. if there is a possible action that could restore the missing services in home.
    Huh?

The concept of "services" in Windows doesn't exist in Linux.
    i thought it's would be great to startup the database in less time then installing. if i would install the software and using backup data file recover then is it a consistent recovery or inconsistent recovery.
    All recoveries that complete are consistent. Not all backups are consistent, but when you do a recovery, the redo stream is applied from the archivelog files to make the recovery "consistent".
    so when ever need to recover what should require for consistent recovery so that i can say without this all other type of recovery jobs are inconsistent.
    there is no such thing as "inconsistent" recovery. You are either able to recover from your backups, or you are not able to recover. If you are able to recover, you are "consistent". Now, mind you, that does NOT necessarily mean your recovery will recover all data up to the point of failure. your ability to do that depends on having all the necessary backups, including archivelogs and ultimately, intact online redo logs. Without that, the best you can do is a point-in-time recovery. But it will still be "consistent" with the point in time to which you recover.

i am asking because as far i know i understand that no client would agree to go for inconsistent recovery. as i mentioned i am a new comer i have lot of confusion please if possible give some details.
    Well, I wouldn't agree to go for an inconsistent recovery, as no such thing exists. If you are talking about point-in-time recovery with potential data loss - it depends entirely on the client, the application, and the tolerance for data loss. Banking transactions cannot afford any loss of transaction data and so must have very robust systems with comprehensive, multi-level backups. Some other systems can be surprisingly forgiving.
    >
    >
    thanks for your advise in-advance

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points