This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 9:53 AM by Colm Divilly RSS

APEX Listener versus classic Application Server

user8058501 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Currently we use the APEX Listener with the stand-alone configuration to access the URL af an APEX application.
This might not be a suitable situation for a production environment.

In a short, here are the (possible) requirements:

- Sessions must be able to access at the same time the same APEX application and page.
Let's say 500 users should be able to access it with no trouble.
- If there are some pages accessed very frequently, they should be cached (how?) without having to request them all the time from the database.
- If more than 500 users are accessing the application, to avoid latency, there should be a "mechanism" to make them "waiting" until the allowed amount of concurrent sessions is below 500, and without impacting (or with low impact) of other working sessions.

I have little knowledge of middle ware environment, but this seems to me specifications for an application server and or a web server.

Hera are my questions:

1) Is it possible to implement such above mechanism with the APEX Listener?
2) If not possible, what should I consider?

Thanks by advance for sharing your experience.

Kind Regards.
  • 1. Re: APEX Listener versus classic Application Server
    Colm Divilly Journeyer
    user8058501 wrote:
    Currently we use the APEX Listener with the stand-alone configuration to access the URL af an APEX application.
    This might not be a suitable situation for a production environment.
    Standalone mode is not supported for production environments, see here for why:

https://cdivilly.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/oracle-application-express-listener-standalone-mode/
    In a short, here are the (possible) requirements:

- Sessions must be able to access at the same time the same APEX application and page.
    Let's say 500 users should be able to access it with no trouble.
    - If there are some pages accessed very frequently, they should be cached (how?) without having to request them all the time from the database.
    - If more than 500 users are accessing the application, to avoid latency, there should be a "mechanism" to make them "waiting" until the allowed amount of concurrent sessions is below 500, and without impacting (or with low impact) of other working sessions.

I have little knowledge of middle ware environment, but this seems to me specifications for an application server and or a web server.

Hera are my questions:

1) Is it possible to implement such above mechanism with the APEX Listener?
    2) If not possible, what should I consider?
    Essentially you are asking how do I tune the number of database connections and also how do I tune the number of HTTP request handling threads.

The former is controlled via the Listener configuration files, specifying the size of the connection pool etc, if you look at the configuration file or use the SQL Developer Listener admin tool the settings are pretty self explanatory, the latter is controlled by the application server, see below for WebLogic documentation on this:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24329_01/web.1211/e24390/wls_tuning.htm#i1142745
    Thanks by advance for sharing your experience.

Kind Regards.
  • 2. Re-APEX Listener versus classic Application Server
    user8058501 Newbie
    Thanks for this information.
    So, if I well understand, I should "forget" the APEX Listener in its "standalone" architecture, and concentrate instead in a real middleware architecture.

You mentioned Weblog and GlassFish.
    Are the only middleware available to deploy APEX applications?
    If yes, what would be the best suited? Easier to install, administrate, tune,...? Can the APEX Listener be combined with Weblog and/or GlassFish, and is it wise to do so?
    What is then the difference between an application server and a web server? Can they be combined and is it wise to do so?

Thanks by advance.

Kind Regards.
  • 3. Re: Re-APEX Listener versus classic Application Server
    Colm Divilly Journeyer
    user8058501 wrote:
    Thanks for this information.
    So, if I well understand, I should "forget" the APEX Listener in its "standalone" architecture, and concentrate instead in a real middleware architecture.

You mentioned Weblog and GlassFish.
    Are the only middleware available to deploy APEX applications?
    They are the only platforms Listener is certified on
    If yes, what would be the best suited? Easier to install, administrate, tune,...? Can the APEX Listener be combined with Weblog and/or GlassFish, and is it wise to do so?
    You'll need to research both products and decide which is the best fit for your needs. Yes Listener is deployed on the application server, Please consult the Listener documentation for more information

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37099_01/welcome.html
    What is then the difference between an application server and a web server? Can they be combined and is it wise to do so?

Thanks by advance.

Kind Regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points