This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 2:39 PM by jrimblas RSS

4.2 - Link Column not working with interactive report (IR)

DenverScott Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings -

I have a display with both an interactive report (IR) and a tabular report on it. There is a radio button used to toggle between them, of course both of them have conditional logic based on this button. If the tabular report is the default, everything works fine. If the interactive report is the default, then the "Link Column" on the IR used to view single record details comes up blank.

Note, if the IR is default, but you switch to tabular and then back to IR before trying to bring up the single record view, everything is fine. It's almost as if something is not being instantiated unless the tabular view is loaded.

The radio button and both reports are in the same region.

Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks,
Scott

Edited by: DenverScott on Apr 30, 2013 9:14 AM

Edited by: DenverScott on May 2, 2013 5:31 AM
  • 1. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    scott.wesley Guru
    I think I'm interpreting this correctly, but you probably need to provide info about how your radio button works.

I think what you've done is put a condition on the regions, which mean one of them never renders, so you can't show/hide a region that was never rendered on the page.

Instead, have no condition on the region, but define the dynamic action on your radio button so that it hides one of the regions on page load.

Pending further info, that's all I've got

PerthScott
  • 2. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    DenverScott Newbie
    Thanks for taking a shot at this. The conditions are not actually on the regions, they are on the interactive report and on the tabular report. I have a main page item (radio button) called ReportSelector that is defined: STATIC2:Report;1,Tabular;2

Then in each of the reports, there is a condition based on the ReportSelector that determines if the report is hidden or shown.

Only reason I mentioned region was to say that all three of the above are in the same region ... in case that made a difference. Main problem is that parts of the interactive report fail to function if the page loads with it as default.

Thanks,
    Scott

Edited by: DenverScott on Apr 30, 2013 9:16 AM
  • 3. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    scott.wesley Guru
    The conditions are not actually on the regions, they are on the interactive report and on the tabular report.
    I'm confused.

I think this is the time when we ask if you could produce a sample on apex.oracle.com
  • 4. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    DenverScott Newbie
    Okay, I have an example that breaks ... I just hi-jacked the demo.

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=70849:2:118243025780805::NO

User: Test_User
    P/W: Test123

Re-creating problem:
    [Should be on the "Customers" tab to start] On any row, click the single link view icon ("page") in the first column. This basically clears out the display ... it should show the details of the selected record. At this point, if you click "Products" on the top tabs and then come back to "Customers" and click the row page again ... it works as expected.

If you log off and then back on, you can re-create problem over and over.

If I had defaulted to the "tabular" report instead of the interactive report, it doesn't break.

(Haven't figured out how to make a guest account yet that doesn't require a p/w)

Thanks,
    Scott
  • 5. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    scott.wesley Guru
    Picture paints a thousand words when trying to desribe the problem - but I'm not sure the issue without looking underneath the hood.
  • 6. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    DenverScott Newbie
    Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure it's a bug with APEX and I'll look to report it. Once I was able to re-create it on the demo site I was pretty sure it wasn't just a mistake I was making.
  • 7. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    jrimblas Expert
    DenverScott wrote:
    Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure it's a bug with APEX and I'll look to report it. Once I was able to re-create it on the demo site I was pretty sure it wasn't just a mistake I was making.
    I don't see an APEX bug here.
    I think that when Scott W said "without looking under the hood" he meant your app, not APEX. :)

You said:
    The conditions are not actually on the regions, they are on the interactive report and on the tabular report
    This is the source of the problem. You may need to populate the Page Items to Submit     field in the IR with P2_REPORT_SELECTOR
    Or your solution requires individual regions for the IR and the tabular form. Hard to tell without looking.

If you share the workspace name and make Test_User a developer account we could log in to take a look.

Thanks
    -Jorge
  • 8. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    VC Guru
    It looks like you have some page items defaulted to some values that are being used in the interactive report sql where clause, and that page items values hasn't been set into the APEX session state. to reference any apex item using a bind variable syntax OR V function the items value needs to be in the APEX session state.

You can prove that by opening your page and then execute apex.submit(); in the javascript console > everything works as you expected, this means when the page is submitted all values rendered in the browser will be set into APEX session.
    http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=70849:2:118243025780805::NO
  • 9. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    DenverScott Newbie
    I have change "Test_User" to a developer, workspace is DenverScott.

Thank you both for the explanation.

One last question of curiousity, why is this not an issue if there is no Tabular report on the display and only an interactive report?

If I delete the radio button, tabular report and remove the conditional from the IR ... everything works without the need for a submit prior to opening the Single Row View link.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • 10. Re: 4.2 - Link Column not working with IR report
    jrimblas Expert
    Ok, I looked into it. This is a common problem, but you've reached a peculiar example of it because it seems you don't need the value of P2_REPORT_SELECTOR in your SQL for the IR.
    BUT, you do because you have it on your Condition.

So, there are two simple ways to fix this. As I mentioned before.
    1. You need to populate the "Page Items to Submit" field in the IR with P2_REPORT_SELECTOR
    I've done this.
    What this does is it makes the value of P2_REPORT_SELECTOR available in persistent session state so that the AJAX call can see that the condition is met and the report should be displayed/rendered.

2. The other option is with a computation on P2_REPORT_SELECTOR that sets it to 1 when P2_REPORT_SELECTOR is null. I left this computation, but set it to Never right now. It's the same net effect because computations save values in persistent session state.

Without the value of P2_REPORT_SELECTOR on persistent session state, the value is only in Memory during render. This is why the page renders correctly. BUT in order for the report to switch to single page view it must know the value of P2_REPORT_SELECTOR and that value was NOT in permanent session state, therefore not available to the AJAX call that refreshes the report.
    Same thing when VC did the submit, it saves the value of P2_REPORT_SELECTOR in persistent session state. Same thing that switching the radio button does.

I hope this help you out.
    -Jorge

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points