This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 9:48 AM by user468360 RSS

Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit

1005988 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone know where I can download the 10.2g XE 64-bit installer for Windows?

My 32-bit development system died, and the replacement is 64-bit. I saved the 32-bit installer for 10.2g XE, but since 10.2 is beyond normal support you can't download the 10.2 64-bit installer from Oracle. I don't have time to do the port to 11g yet - I just need to get my existing setup back and running.

Mr. Bill
  • 1. Re: Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit
    Udo Guru
    Hello, and welcome to the OTN forums!

There never has been a 64bit release for 10.2 XE. The first x86_64 package for XE is the current Linux release for 11.2 XE.
    Note that the 11.2 for Windows is (currently) only available for 32bit Windows as well. Installing this release on 64bit Windows won't work without further actions. Depending on your actual machine configuration it might not work at all.

So, to get a clean 32bit install on your 64 bit Windows, the safest way would be to create a VM with a supported 32 bit guest OS.

-Udo
  • 2. Re: Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit
    1005988 Newbie
    It's 2013, and there is no support for 64-bit Windows yet? Really? From a company as big as Oracle?

While technically it would work to load up all my development tools in a VM, it is a huge pain in the neck to have to fire up a VM to do all my work, and VMs are substantially slower than the host machine itself. Surely there is a better solution!!

Mr. Bill
  • 3. Re: Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    user11985702 wrote:
    It's 2013, and there is no support for 64-bit Windows yet? Really? From a company as big as Oracle?
    Oracle does indeed support 64-bit Win as long as you pay for licensing - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#BABIICFE - it is reasonable that stuff they give out for free (11g XE) will not be cutting edge.
    While technically it would work to load up all my development tools in a VM, it is a huge pain in the neck to have to fire up a VM to do all my work, and VMs are substantially slower than the host machine itself. Surely there is a better solution!!

Mr. Bill
    In my experience VMs are as fast at the host server that they run on - what VM solution are you using ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit
    Udo Guru
    Well, there had been an announcement, but unfortunately no release yet.
    As Srini already mentioned, other (paid) Oracle Database release do support Windows 64bit, of course.
    From what I've seen in this forum, it seems to be possible to get the 32bit release installed on certain 64bit Windows systems as well. It's just the installer doesn't work properly in all cases, so you'll have to do perform some additional (undocumented) steps to get everything up and running.
    I agree that using a VM is not the best solution, at least not if you want a database instance on your local machine that you (need to) shut down every day or even want to carry around with you.

-Udo
  • 5. Re: Installer for 10.2g XE 64-bit
    user468360 Newbie
    If you are a developer, and ONLY using the database for development purposes, you should check out Oracle's developer license. The following quote is from Oracle's software download page: "All software downloads are free, and most come with a Developer License that allows you to use full versions of the products at no charge while developing and prototyping your applications, or for strictly self-educational purposes."

I think you will be limited to a single developer on a single machine and absolutely no production use, but if you meet those requirements you could install the full 64-bit version of Oracle 10G or 11G and not need to but a license.

Be sure to read Oracle's licensing terms. I am not qualified to advise you.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points