8 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 5:51 AM by HEBA2008 RSS

X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card

HEBA2008
      Hello

we have Sun Fire x4270 server , with Solaris 10 .
      we installed a new SAS PCI card to connect it to tape drive. after installing the PCI card , the Solaris is not booting , seems like there is conflict between the onboard sas controller and one oncard controller.

your support is appreciated

HEBA
        • 1. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
          Nik
          Hi.
          Check again boot-device priority at BIOS.

Try disable boot sopport on new card.

Give more information what you see on screen.
          Regards.
          • 2. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
            HEBA2008
            Hello ,

I've checked the BIOS for boot order , and the issue is not with the order.
            the system boots normally , then I poweroff , install the SAS card , and poweron and it never boots, the output on screen as follows:

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.3.31
            Copyright (C) 1997-2009, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
            PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.3.31
            Copyright (C) 1997-2009, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.42P1
            Copyright (C) 1997-2006, Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 1B 21 94 A5 9D  GUID: FF200008 FFFF FFFF FFFF A62AB2282100
            PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
            or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Edited by: HEBA2008 on May 6, 2013 4:08 PM
            • 3. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
              Pascal Kreyer -Oracle
              Check in BIOS if the card is recognized and if the disks are still there
              • 4. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
                HEBA2008
                Hello Pascal

Which BIOS screen to check this , i've been through the BIOS pages trying to find the trick but none worked.

[screen capture|https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pfa4w0g8k3scccv/OljANM3xcB]

Additional : after installing the card , I can't find the way to get to the LSI setup page

thanks
                HEBA

Edited by: HEBA2008 on May 8, 2013 3:45 PM
                • 5. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
                  HEBA2008
                  Good day

I also tried to set the boot device to disk from Host control in the ILOM , and that's to avoid PXE booting tries, but still it doesn't boot telling that there is no bootable device

Regards,
                  HEBA
                  • 6. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
                    Nik
                    Hi.
                    According provided screens ( page1) BIOS detect 8 disks.
                    Change boot priority so disk will be first.
                    You should make correct disk first (that bootable). So try play and change order of disk at boot priority menu.

Regards.
                    • 7. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
                      HEBA2008
                      Hello Nik

Thanks for your support , these that appeard on the screen are controllers not disks , most of PXE which is booting through network related thing.
                      and i've allrady tried changing the order , and stilll , even the SAS lines takes the systems to nothing.
                      • 8. Re: X4270 system not booting after installing a new SAS card
                        HEBA2008
                        Hi

Problem is Solved.

I've updated the ILOM/BIOS fw level for this server , after that the LSI utility was not accessible . and we needed to access it to change the order inside it between the INT and EXT SAS controllers.

when comparing the system with another one that didn't have the ILOM/BIOS updated. The LSI version with the old BIOS was newer than the LSI version with the updated BIOS
                        with updated BIOS , LSI utility version 7.3.xxx
                        with old BIOS , LSI utitility version 7.21.xxx

After downloading the 7.21.xx version from LSI site and applying it , the LSI utility became accessible and we could change order of SAS controllers , then booting worked fine, in the boot level system recognize all internal disks , and as per the boot order in BIOS , it checks network then disks and boot to sorlais normally.

Thanks for your support
                        HEBA