This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 3:22 AM by Tridus RSS

vb.net Mobile Libraries?

1006778 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm a developer, I need to connect to a Oracle database using vs.net 2008 for mobile application. I install Oracle Data Access Components, and i can see the objects to develop on windows applications, but i dont know if Oracle has mobile libraries. How can i connect to oracle with an vb.net Mobile app.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: vb.net Mobile Libraries?
    Tridus Journeyer
    Can you define "mobile"? Are you trying to develop something for Windows Phone, or do you just need a library you can embed in a .net application?

If it's the second one, the Managed Provider is what you need. It's currently in beta though, with a production version due out eventually. You can find information on that here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/whatsnew/index.html

If you're trying to create a Windows Phone application, the best bet will be to create a web service that connects to Oracle and handles your database functionality, and connect your mobile application to the service.

Edited by: Tridus on May 2, 2013 7:21 PM
  • 2. Re: vb.net Mobile Libraries?
    1006778 Newbie
    Yes its to develop a windows phone app with oracle
  • 3. Re: vb.net Mobile Libraries?
    Tridus Journeyer
    Then your best bet is to build a web service and have your vb.net program connect to that. That's what the Windows Phone libraries are optimized for.

The managed client I linked might work on Windows Phone, I haven't tried it. But I wouldn't use it in that environment.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points